none
New forum layout pretty much unusable. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just my thoughts on the new forum layout. 

While I like the layout and color scheme of the forum - I am finding that I keep forgetting how to make a post in the forums.   What appears to be confusing me is that the list of sub-forums appears to be greyed out (which in my developer parlance means they are disabled) with the result that I click the 'Ask Question button' and then wonder where my post will be placed.  After typing my text I usually discover a small list box full of lots and lots of topics non of which seem to have a description indicating they might be relevant.

I would suggest removing the ask question button from its current location and replacing it with a clear notification prompting the user to choose a sub-forum topic to post in from a NON-disabled list.  Selecting said forum topic (or sub-forum) would display said list of posts AND THEN display the 'Ask Question IN THIS forum button'.

Again, just my thoughts. Regards. Andy

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:55 AM

All replies

• Just my thoughts on the new forum layout. 

While I like the layout and color scheme of the forum - I am finding that I keep forgetting how to make a post in the forums.   What appears to be confusing me is that the list of sub-forums appears to be greyed out (which in my developer parlance means they are disabled) with the result that I click the 'Ask Question button' and then wonder where my post will be placed.  After typing my text I usually discover a small list box full of lots and lots of topics non of which seem to have a description indicating they might be relevant.

I would suggest removing the ask question button from its current location and replacing it with a clear notification prompting the user to choose a sub-forum topic to post in from a NON-disabled list.  Selecting said forum topic (or sub-forum) would display said list of posts AND THEN display the 'Ask Question IN THIS forum button'.

Again, just my thoughts. Regards. Andy

The forum view no longer really has the concept of a single forum, but rather of a currently active set of forums (which could be just one). When you view the left rail, the categories that appear to be greyed out are just those that do not contain a forum in the current view; they can in fact be expanded.

However, IMHO, the left rail is not the place to select the forum to which to address a question (apart from anything else, the left rail may be collapsed). Rather this should be done on the Submission page itself, after clicking the Ask a Question button. Unfortunately, the Submission page is (IMHO) quite appallingly designed, leading to the large number of misplaced posts in these forums. I have posted about this elsewhere:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/add77fc2-5215-410c-b01b-b4ed1aa00ff8/design-of-the-submit-new-thread-page

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:25 PM
  • We hope to address several of the pain points around the "Ask a Questions" page in our release next week. We will be making the language and the selected forum more discoverable when a user goes to submit a question. We hope this will help with users posting to the wrong forum or language. Thanks!

Forums Program Manager

Friday, September 6, 2013 3:10 PM