Document that using opendns can cause problems RRS feed

• Question

• Please put a warning in the setup documentation that using opendns can cause problems and should be disabled.

Now that it is appearing in general press:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/09/business/media/09startup.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

there will be ordinary users using it, not just us geeks.  

(Also mentioned in Wired magazine)

I wasted many hours trying to install connector until I remembered I was trying opendns.  

Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:57 PM

All replies

•  roybishop wrote:

Please put a warning in the setup documentation that using opendns can cause problems and should be disabled.

Now that it is appearing in general press:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/09/business/media/09startup.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

there will be ordinary users using it, not just us geeks.  

(Also mentioned in Wired magazine)

I wasted many hours trying to install connector until I remembered I was trying opendns.  

How does openDNS cause problems with WHS?  In a standard "home" environment (meaning no local DNS records), DNS shouldn't be used for local network name resolution at all, NetBios should.  If you've got NetBios turned off, then you need to configure so other means for your local network name resolution (such as local HOSTS files).  None of this is WHS's problem though.

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:25 PM
  • If end users have a normal Vista environment, add WHS, and see an article in the general press suggesting OpenDNS is a good the result is they can no longer connect to the WHS Console.

Documenting this in a setup or troubleshooting section may eliminate frustration or failure for ordinary users of WHS.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:35 PM
  • How about having OpenDNS document that their service isn't compatible with WHS instead? It seems to me that the relatively small number of people who might want to use OpenDNS with WHS would be better served that way.

If you think the above is a silly suggestion, you're right. Smile Just as it's silly to expect OpenDNS to warn people of incompatibilities in advance, it's silly to expect Microsoft to do likewise. Being aware of these issues so that they can help users sort them out isn't a bad idea, though.
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 1:07 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    How about having OpenDNS document that their service isn't compatible with WHS instead? It seems to me that the relatively small number of people who might want to use OpenDNS with WHS would be better served that way.

If you think the above is a silly suggestion, you're right. Just as it's silly to expect OpenDNS to warn people of incompatibilities in advance, it's silly to expect Microsoft to do likewise. Being aware of these issues so that they can help users sort them out isn't a bad idea, though.

This isn't specific to WHS it is a problem with OpenDNS (generally when you ignore standards you will break something). Since an OpenDNS resolution should never fail the resolution order should be changed so that DNS is the last method used for resolution.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 2:14 AM
  • I'm using openDNS with no problems, although the opendns addresses are supplied to the router and the PCs (including vista) just use the router's IP as the DNS address.
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:32 PM
  •  almonde wrote:
    I'm using openDNS with no problems, although the opendns addresses are supplied to the router and the PCs (including vista) just use the router's IP as the DNS address.

That is because each of your PCs are registering their names with your DNS server (your router). When you try to resolve a local name your router responds without having to query the OpenDNS servers.

Friday, August 17, 2007 4:36 AM