Server Upgrade - Can I copy off my backups and then restore them? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am getting ready for a major upgrade to my home server box (new motherboard, ram, etc.)

I have about 190gbs of backups for all my home computers - they are in a folder under \DE\Folders - at least I think that is them.  I can recognize some of the computer names and most of the file names start with Data.4096.

Can I copy off this entire folder do a different hard drive, install Home Server on a brand new hard drive and then copy this folder back and  expect the backups to work?
    Monday, January 5, 2009 10:39 PM

Answers

• It's possible to copy a backup database to a new server. However, unless you have a need to keep an archival backup of a computer, I woudn't bother to copy the backup database. If you do have such a need, you can consult the Home Computer Backup technical brief, which details how to back up/restore the database. Or you can find the Backup DataBase Backup add-in, over in the developers forum. It does the same thing, but in a more automated and user friendly fashion.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by J0hn_ Monday, January 5, 2009 11:23 PM
    Monday, January 5, 2009 10:48 PM

All replies

• It's possible to copy a backup database to a new server. However, unless you have a need to keep an archival backup of a computer, I woudn't bother to copy the backup database. If you do have such a need, you can consult the Home Computer Backup technical brief, which details how to back up/restore the database. Or you can find the Backup DataBase Backup add-in, over in the developers forum. It does the same thing, but in a more automated and user friendly fashion.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by J0hn_ Monday, January 5, 2009 11:23 PM
    Monday, January 5, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Thanks for the info Ken.  Although I don't think I will need the info, since I have the room, I would rather keep it at this point, just in case...

I will check out those links - they look to be very helpfull  :)
    • Marked as answer by J0hn_ Monday, January 5, 2009 11:22 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by J0hn_ Monday, January 5, 2009 11:22 PM
    Monday, January 5, 2009 11:22 PM