Tune-Up not clearing out unnecessary files RRS feed

Answers

• On the Windows Start menu, go to All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and run Disk Cleanup manually, selecting the options for all of the files you wish Cleanup to take care of. I believe that the next time Tune-up runs, these options would be respected as OneCare uses that application to actually perform this function under the covers.

-steve

Thursday, August 7, 2008 6:56 PM

All replies

• On the Windows Start menu, go to All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and run Disk Cleanup manually, selecting the options for all of the files you wish Cleanup to take care of. I believe that the next time Tune-up runs, these options would be respected as OneCare uses that application to actually perform this function under the covers.

-steve

Thursday, August 7, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Thank you.  I appreciate the reply.

Please, don't take this the wrong way; I'm not kvetching.  But, this kind of burns me up.  Part of me is wondering: If I can go into the START menu and manually run Disk Cleanup -- in fact, run it properly, with more information given, and with more precision than OneCare -- why did I buy OneCare?  What actually is OneCare doing? (In fact, not doing, since it wasn't cleaning out the Recycle Bin!)

Since you mentioned that OneCare actually uses this application, I'm surprised at why it wouldn't have already configured the settings of Disk Cleanup to clear out the Recycle Bin. (I mean, if it's meant to be an all-in-one care system, the techs at MSFT should have thought of things like that.  It's their OS after all.)

Thursday, August 7, 2008 10:18 PM
  • OneCare provides you with a firewall, virus and spyware protection, backup, multi-pc monitoring of subscribed PC's security status, and a variety of tune-up functions, some of which automate the built-in Windows processes and applications or build upon them.

I don't disagree with you that clean-up should execute with options defaulted by OneCare and presented by OneCare in a settings dialog, even if it is using the external program, but I don't know if that's even possible to do.

My opinion is that emptying the recycle bin is not something that cleanup should be doing as the recycle bin functionality is such that it will manage itself. The recycle bin is a safety net to recover deleted files from. Emptying it out defeats the purpose of the recycle bin. That's my opinion, but doesn't answer why OneCare doesn't do this by default if that's what is stated. Did you run it manually as I suggested and set the options? Did you then run Tune-up to confirm that these options are then respected when OneCare executes the clean-up?

-steve

Friday, August 8, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Thanks.  Your suggestion seems to have worked with OneCare's Tune-Up after I selected the various things in Disk Cleanup that I wanted deleted.

I appreciate your comments.  But, all of this begs the question of why I bought OneCare when I could have done this manually myself with a few clicks.  I'm a consumer who paid money for this.  I expect the product to do what it claims to do.

(I think some feedback to OneCare is in order.)

Friday, August 8, 2008 6:54 PM
  • I'm glad that it is now doing what you expect. As I noted, you are getting much more for your OneCare subscription than a few things that you can already do without OneCare such as Cleanup and Defrag. And, I agree that cleanup should work without you needing to launch it externally first and set options as it doesn't even look like you are setting options to be saved, but just for that run when you manually run cleanup.

You can submit feedback for OneCare at http://onecare.live.com, selecting Windows Live OneCare from the list.

-steve

Friday, August 8, 2008 7:02 PM