can't connect to home server RRS feed

• Question

• I need to recover a PC from a previous backup. The restore disk can't find the WHS. The WHS is named "OURKINGDOM" - could this be the problem? I can open the console & view backups. During the restore process, it detects the correct NIC (I've tried 2 different PCs). 

Do I need to rename the server to "SERVER"? If so, I have another problem, I can't rdp to it. 

Let me know if you have any ideas...  :(

Saturday, August 27, 2016 1:12 PM

All replies

• The name of your server shouldn't be the problem. Which version of WHS? If it's WHS2011 try creating a restore USB stick from the Server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, August 27, 2016 1:43 PM
  • If you cannot RDP to it, something may be wrong with name resolution or security applications.

Can you ping your server from a functional PC by name? If so, you could still attach the disk as secondary drive to the functional PC and use ClientRestoreWizard.exe as described in the FAQ  How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, September 2, 2016 12:47 PM