none
Power Shell Error When Using Stop-Service Cmdlet RRS feed

• General discussion

• Good afternoon.

I have disabled UAC. Execution Policy is set to Unrestricted. And clicking Powershell in Run As Administrator.

But when I try to stop a service using the stop-service cmdlet, I receive the following error:

Cannot stop RapidRecoveryCore service on computer '.'

And then a close error: CloseError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by SGoodwin82 Monday, September 24, 2018 9:27 PM
    • Changed type Bill_Stewart Thursday, December 13, 2018 3:33 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Thursday, December 13, 2018 3:34 PM This is not third-party support forum
    Monday, September 24, 2018 9:26 PM

All replies

• Stop-Service RapidRecoveryCore  -Force

Be aware that some services cannot be stopped and some service may be hung and cannot be stopped.  Disable the service and restart the system.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, September 24, 2018 9:47 PM
  • Well it used to work, and now does not.

Also, this service needs to be gracefully stopped. If not, it could potentially cause data loss in the backup software it is tied to.

Thank you for your time.

Monday, September 24, 2018 9:55 PM
  • Try stopping a different service like BITS. Try a plain old NET STOP RapidRecoveryCore. That should help you determine if the problem is with Powershell or the service itself. Also check to see if the service is in a running state and not stopping or starting. The eventlogs should contain entries from the app and the service controller. Check those.

Monday, September 24, 2018 10:18 PM
  • Ok, so there may be another issue. When I try to stop the service normally (via services.msc) I receive an Error 1061: The service cannot accept control messages at this time. I wait a few minutes and the same. I restart the machine, and still the same.

Any thoughts?

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 12:02 PM
  • Then you need to contact the vendor for assistance.

If this is the Quest product please understand that it is not compatible with Windows 10 and later systems.  The vendor will help you fix the service.

You issue is not a scripting issue.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 12:05 PM
  • I have disabled UAC.

This is definitely NOT recommended.

Also, as jrv noted, since the problem occurs outside of PowerShell, then this is not a scripting question at all but rather a support issue for whatever vendor provides that service.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:01 PM