can i download the evaluation of windows home server,and use my own licensekey after 120 days? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just bought an Acer Aspire Easystore Homeserver H340,but the operating system was already installed.
    As with all my computers(laptops mainly)i bought them without an operatingsystem,and bought one separate,wthout all the trial software.
    I have got a license key,on the machine,so if i want to do a clean installation,i need a disc with the operating system,that,s why i wanted to download and use the evaluation copy,if possible.
    if not,i would like to know,if i can buy an oem version?
    thanks for your help and answers.
    my kindest regards cor bulsing.
    i am using an Asus G71V laptop with Intel QX 9300 cpu,4GB ddr3 1333mhz ram,Nvidia 9700GT gpu,2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD in raid 0,1920x1200/and a XXODD Xni900f with intel i7-920 cpu,6gb ddr3 1066mhz ram,Nvidia GTX280M gpu,3x OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD in raid 0,and for work a Dell Optiplex Pentium 4 workstation with 2GB ddr geheugen connected to a server.all equipment is 17",at work the lcd is 19" widescreen(because of the drawings).my o.s is both Vista Ultimate,1x32bits English,1x64bits Dutch.at work XP professional.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 12:37 PM

All replies

• You should use the software that came with your Acer. It's the same as the OEM version you would get from e.g. newegg with some functionality added by Acer.

If you decide that you want to install an OEM copy of Windows Home Server by yourself, you will need to figure out how to connect monitor, keyboard, and mouse to your server, and you will need to connect a DVD-ROM drive. You will also need to obtain proper drivers for your server's hardware (primarily network interface and storage controllers) and install those drivers at the appropriate times. Finally, should you ever need to reinstall (due to OS corruption or system drive failure) you would need to sort all of that out again.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:28 PM
  • dear Ken,thank you very much for your answer,as i got 3 discs with my new server.(pc-server recovery and software installation disc)
    i ve never used a server for myself before,but i know very well how to install an o.s on a new laptop,but as you are saying,this is not done on the same way?
    If my home server ever crashes,is it enough than ,to use the recovery disc for the server,on the harddisc with the operating system(whs)?
    i love to read all the articles about the home servers,specially as it is completely new to me,as i would like to keep all my family,s data in a central place,as they keep on losing their stuff,no matter if it is music,e-mails,data,addresses,and so i have decided to buy a network attached storage,but than came Acer with this home server.
    You will probably hear from me more often,as there is so much more to learn about a home server,but for now,thanks again for your help,regards Cor Bulsing Nld
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:19 PM
  • You should read the documentation that came with your server (printed or on disk), as it will explain the server recovery process in much greater detail than the forum format really allows.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:23 PM