HP PC RESTORE DISC HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

my dell 710 h2c gaming rig (winxp sp3) crashed yesterday after i attempted to install roxio creator suite 9 from disk. apparently i agreed to delete the roxio DLA file as part of the install and got a drag-to-disk error shortly after that. Later when i booted up i got nothing bu bsd. i can't even start windows now without bsd.

i have this puter backed up on my HP HS ex475, but when i attempt to boot to the PC Restore Disc, windows name comes up and a scrolling bar briefly, then i get bsd'd again. Apparently the restore disc uses the os which has been corrupted. is there any other way to access the home server to restore my pc? thx. peace
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 9:35 PM

Answers

•  outlookuser wrote:
    Yes i changed the boot sequence in bios to boot to cd. the disc program appears to utilize windows to run. i cannot understand why HP would build a restore cd that uses windows. insane! and since the os won't boot, the restore disk won't work.

Since my server is OEM, I can't confirm that.  However, if what you are saying is true, I think there would have been a lot of complaints about it in this forum.  You are the first, so I highly doubt it's doing what you think it's doing.  (I think it's more likely your restore CD may be bad.)

My suggestion would be to contact HP support and tell them what your problem is.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 11:33 PM

All replies

•  outlookuser wrote:
    hi all,

my dell 710 h2c gaming rig (winxp sp3) crashed yesterday after i attempted to install roxio creator suite 9 from disk. apparently i agreed to delete the roxio DLA file as part of the install and got a drag-to-disk error shortly after that. Later when i booted up i got nothing bu bsd. i can't even start windows now without bsd.

i have this puter backed up on my HP HS ex475, but when i attempt to boot to the PC Restore Disc, windows name comes up and a scrolling bar briefly, then i get bsd'd again. Apparently the restore disc uses the os which has been corrupted. is there any other way to access the home server to restore my pc? thx. peace

Are you sure you're booting from the Restore CD?  You might want to check the BIOS on your client PC and make sure "boot from CD" is above "boot from hard drive" in the boot order sequence.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 11:04 PM
  • Yes i changed the boot sequence in bios to boot to cd. the disc program appears to utilize windows to run. i cannot understand why HP would build a restore cd that uses windows. insane! and since the os won't boot, the restore disk won't work.
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 11:24 PM
  •  outlookuser wrote:
    Yes i changed the boot sequence in bios to boot to cd. the disc program appears to utilize windows to run. i cannot understand why HP would build a restore cd that uses windows. insane! and since the os won't boot, the restore disk won't work.

Since my server is OEM, I can't confirm that.  However, if what you are saying is true, I think there would have been a lot of complaints about it in this forum.  You are the first, so I highly doubt it's doing what you think it's doing.  (I think it's more likely your restore CD may be bad.)

My suggestion would be to contact HP support and tell them what your problem is.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 11:33 PM
  • stupid me. I had starting getting a "RAID Controller Error" message a few weeks back, but what with business travels, etc. I blew off calling Dell and forgot about the error messages. All tests report the raid drives as healthy and other odd behaviors, like not finding the os! now confirm that the problem most likely is the controller. going to reset all conections and call Dell tomorrow. Thanks for helping out anyway.
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:14 PM