Removing 2007 OCS Enterprise AD Schema RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am helping / doing some consulting for a client. From what I understand they had a previous IT guy who attempted to setup the enterprise edition of OCS 2007 but he did a very bad job of it, none of its working. They also do not need the Enterprise level, standard would be more then enough.

They wanted me to to remove any and all traces of OCS 2007 to start "fresh" with standard. I've gone through and removed all the different roles and deactivating the pools and roles. Uninstalled the software.

However, my final task is probably the most cumbersome. I think all the ad-schema is still there. I am seeing a lot of security groups (RTC***) still in the users list. Is there any tool or way I can remove all traces of the OCS server from the active directory?

Thanks!

Monday, November 3, 2008 8:20 PM

Answers

• You won't be able to remove any of the schema objects as that is irreversible (via normal channels) in Active Directory.  That should not be an issue unless the previous person actually messed with those objects at the raw level, which is doubtful.

The RTC* security groups and users you see are created during Forest/Domain prep steps (not the Schema Prep) and you can safely delete all of them.

I'd suggest taking a look at this blog to see if you've run the correct unprep commands:

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=31

And if you really want to check under the hood, take a look at this one to locate and delete anything that might possibly be left in your Configuration container in AD after the previous steps (in case of errors).

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=13

Monday, November 3, 2008 9:18 PM

All replies

• You won't be able to remove any of the schema objects as that is irreversible (via normal channels) in Active Directory.  That should not be an issue unless the previous person actually messed with those objects at the raw level, which is doubtful.

The RTC* security groups and users you see are created during Forest/Domain prep steps (not the Schema Prep) and you can safely delete all of them.

I'd suggest taking a look at this blog to see if you've run the correct unprep commands:

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=31

And if you really want to check under the hood, take a look at this one to locate and delete anything that might possibly be left in your Configuration container in AD after the previous steps (in case of errors).

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=13

Monday, November 3, 2008 9:18 PM
  • Hi,

well you're likely to get rid of all the Access Control Entries and Security groups manually (as there is no tool out there) but the changes to the Active Directory schema are irreversible. But I wouldn't go through that if I where you... If you properly deactived the services and uninstalled the software you can proceed with a clean deployment of a standard edition server.

The forest and domain preperation steps are similar for Enterprise and Standard edition deployments.

Greets,
    Tonino Bruno

Monday, November 3, 2008 9:26 PM
  • Thanks a lot guys for the clairifcation.

I was just worried there may be some previous entries that would cause problems when deploying standard.

Cheers!

Edit: Jeff your two links were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for the helpful links!
    Monday, November 3, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Is it safe to delete everything in the following container afer uninstaling and unpreping:

CN=RTC Service,CN=Microsoft,CN=System.DC=domain,DC=com

I believe that is configuration data in the system container.

-Barry
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:43 PM
  • We ran the Domain and Forest Unprep again and it deleted this.

That was of course the desired way of getting it deleted since that tool knows what it can and cannot delete.

I just posted this in case the info might help somebody else.

-Barry
    Friday, May 1, 2009 6:49 AM