I'm totally confused (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• foxisms posted on 04-04-2010 1:56 AM

I pick a style and sing a song I've sung many times before.

When I play it back it sounds nothing like the tune I wanted to record. I have yet to get SongSmith to create an accompaniment that fits.

It's as though I'm singing against a completely different composition and the melody doesn't fit the chording.

Is there some manual that I can use to go step by step until I begin to hear what I expect my song to sound like rather than attempting to insert my own chord signatures.

I just want to sing into the mike and have something that resembles the song I'm singing come out in the recording.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:20 PM

Answers

• dmorris replied on 04-04-2010 11:51 AM

Songsmith doesn't necessarily produce an accompaniment that sounds like the one you're used to hearing for a certain melody; there are many different chord patterns and styles that can fit a specific melody.

But if you are looking for a specific accompaniment "vibe" once you've recorded your voice, the fastest way to explore different chord patterns is to move the "happy" and "jazzy" sliders around; you'll be able to explore a variety of different chord patterns very quickly.

For step-by-step instructions, the best place to look is our tutorial videos:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/songsmith/howto.html#tutorialvideos

Hope that helps!

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:20 PM