Failing Share, Storage OK - How do I know WHICH drive is failing? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP box, latest patches and I've had the problem a number of times now where a replicated share starts to fail, I run chkdsk and end up with a bunch of tombstones I have no option but to delete. [Cautionary note: replicated folders certainly don't protect you from data loss!]

I suspect a failing hard-drive, but I have no way of knowing which one it is. How do I find out which drive to replace since the UI always reports them all as healthy? This is exacerbated by the fact that all my drives are identical, so all have the same name. I want to "remove" the right drive properly so as not to lose any data, but I haven't a clue which one to remove.

Thanks,

James.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:15 AM

All replies

• I have an HP box, latest patches and I've had the problem a number of times now where a replicated share starts to fail, I run chkdsk and end up with a bunch of tombstones I have no option but to delete. [Cautionary note: replicated folders certainly don't protect you from data loss!]
    Folder Duplication doesn't protect you from all possible failures, but it does protect you from the most common one:  a single failed hard drive.  If you have Folder Duplication enabled on a share and you still lose data from that share (and you followed the correct procedure when dealing with a failed drive), then there is more wrong than just a single hard drive failure.

I suspect a failing hard-drive, but I have no way of knowing which one it is. How do I find out which drive to replace since the UI always reports them all as healthy? This is exacerbated by the fact that all my drives are identical, so all have the same name. I want to "remove" the right drive properly so as not to lose any data, but I haven't a clue which one to remove.

Thanks,

James.

You could shut down the server, pull each drive (one at a time) from the server, attach it to a client, then run chkdsk /r from there.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:05 AM