Why did the files vanish? RRS feed

• Question

• Recently removed one of the disk safely. Then made a complete reinstall of the WHS computer and then added the disk that was removed earlier on. Now the problem is that there's nothing on that disk...completely gone...

How and why?

Would a undelete program fix it and give me the files back?

Monday, April 5, 2010 11:48 PM

All replies

• When you removed the disk using the console, Windows Home Server moved everything off that disk. At that point, there was nothing on that disk anymore. If you then installed Windows Home Server on the remaining disk(s), you should have been offered the option of a reinstallation (or recovery, depending on which media you have) or a new installation. If you chose new installation, you were warned several times that all disks detected would be formatted, and that you would lose all data on them. If you then proceed and go through the first reboot, your disks are all wiped.

If this describes the sequence of events you followed, then you will probably have to try some sort of data recovery software to see if there's anything that can be recovered.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:16 AM
  • Just as a thought then....

However I also thought that when I removed the disk, all files which was on it before I connected it to the storage pool, would stay there when removed....

Allready started recovery of the files....

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:47 AM
  • Just as a thought then....

However I also thought that when I removed the disk, all files which was on it before I connected it to the storage pool, would stay there when removed....

Allready started recovery of the files....

You shouldn't need to recover any files because whatever data that was on that drive should have been moved from that drive to another one (that is part of the storage pool) during the removal process.
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:10 AM