server crash RRS feed

• Question

• G'day,

Had a storm last night and now my WHS won't start up.

I put in the DVD to do a reinstall (I have done this once before with success when I changed over to a new motherboard), however WHS does not give the choice to do a reinstall, only a new installation.

If I let the server boot up normally it just tells it cannot boot as it cannot find file windows/sytem32/config (I think that is the file path).

Anybody got some ideas. I don't really want to have to remove my drives and then temporraty copy the information from the HDD's to my other PC's.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 10:16 AM

All replies

• You probably suffered a lightning strike and associated power surge. That you can't reinstall WHS implies that the problem on your system partition is more widespread than just that one folder (which contains event and other logs, BTW).

Unfortunately, if you aren't given the option to reinstall, and the OS won't boot, I think you don't have a choice; you're going to have to pull your drives and recover the data that way.

Once you've done that, I would use a tool such as Spinrite to check each of the drives exhaustively for errors, and replace drives that show signs of failure.
    Tuesday, October 9, 2007 11:39 AM
  • AND BUY A BATTERY BACKUP!!! I live in Florida and can't imagine having anything plugged into the wall!

Especially not my server

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 3:57 PM
  • AND BUY A BATTERY BACKUP!!! I live in Florida and can't imagine having anything plugged into the wall!

Especially not my server

I don't live in Florida fortunately (I hate thunderstorms), but I added a cheap APC battery backup almost as soon as I had the WHS RC up and running. It cost about $45 and WHS had built-in driver support for it. With my low wattage server (49 watts at idle) it could run for a significant time on battery. Also, with a UPS you can configure the power options. One of the most important being a normal shutdown while running on battery if the power does not come back on before the battery is drained.

When running multiple hard drives with large data buffers and WHS disk write caching the potential for disaster is enormous with a power surge, loss, etc. If you care at all about your data a UPS is an absolute requirement for a WHS server.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 5:49 PM