Backup failures on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting a backup failure backing up one of my PCs.  The other PC backs up ok.  I get this message:

Failure Details for Volume (Local Disk):

An error occurred reading or writing from server storage.

D:\folders\{00008086-058d-4c89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

\SHERRYPC.C.VolumeCluster.4096.dat

ReadFile

If I understand what I have read about WHS backups, only updated files are backed up after the initial backup.  There are pointers in the most recent backup to data previously backed up.  So if I have a corrupt backup DB, how can I get WHS to do a completely new backup?

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 3:00 PM

Answers

• Resolved the issue by deleting the PC from the server.  Reinstalling software on the user pc and taking a new backup.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:42 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 8:58 AM

All replies

• Start by running chkdsk /r on all the drives in your server. That will do a surface scan and repair (and will take a very long time if you have several very large drives). Once you've done that, try repairing the backup database, then try backing up the affected PC again.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 4:03 PM
  • I fear that the things you are suggesting is above my pay grade.  I got into the  server desk top and selected check disk.  This instructed me to restart the server.   Off course when I did this I lost my connection to the server.  I can't tell if it is running or not.  I could tell that it restarted.  Any chance that we could communicate by email?  I am hautry@nc.rr.com.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 4:38 PM
  • I am using the home server to back up two PCs.  One of them backs up fine, the other fails every time.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 4:44 PM
  • Resolved the issue by deleting the PC from the server.  Reinstalling software on the user pc and taking a new backup.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:42 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 8:58 AM