none
Server hard drive dailed RRS feed

• Question

• Any ideas on how I recover my WHS.  It appears that one of 4 hard drives has crashed.  I t was likely the orignal hard drive where I isntalled the opearating system.  The server now does not boot.  How can I recover the server, while ensuring I can get as much of my data as possible?

Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:33 PM

Answers

• At a high level, you replace the dead system drive and perform a server reinstallation. If you had duplication turned on for all your shares, you should lose none of your files.

Server reinstallation is a special installation mode which is only available if setup sees your storage drives. If you needed drivers for Windows Home Server to see one or more of your drives, you'll have to supply those drivers at the hardware detection screen (partway through the initial graphical setup). If you needed drivers for the server to see your system drive, you'll have to supply those drivers twice: at the hardware detection screen, and then immediately after the first reboot, at the "Press F6" prompt. The second time the drivers must be supplied on floppy. (If you needed drivers for your system drive presumably you went through this already.)

After that, let setup finish. There will be several reboots, and near the end of the process it will pause for a significant amount of time while the DATA partition on the system drive (D:) is rebuilt from the files on your secondary storage pool drives.

This process doesn't guarantee that you will be able to recover your backup database; it doesn't participate in duplicaiton, so if any components of the database were stored on the system drive, the database is probably lost.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:55 PM