Win 7 Build 7601 "not genuine" - PC now seems unrecoverable RRS feed

• Question

• My PC's symptoms are similar to many posted before - "Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine" now etched onto my otherwise black desktop.  I understand warning messages were appearing on the task bar  but in my absence working abroad my partner decided to ignore these!  The PC now appears to have gone into a state of paralysis - no internet connection, USB ports disabled , disc drives unable to read and most windows functions disabled (error message: "The specified service does not exist as an installed service").

After a long CHAT session with Microsoft's Answer Desk Support team, the conclusion was nothing could be done other than a complete OS re-install.  Since the disk drives won't read  from the PC when logged-on, I imagine it would have to be from re-boot, potentially losing all HD data - I therefore need to back up essential files first (but can't find a route to saving anything externally).

A desperate situation for which I'd appreciate any advice.  I can't even run a diagnostic tool or anything more than a McAfee full scan (which shows nothing). 

Friday, March 8, 2013 12:34 PM

Answers

• The HDD enclosure is on order and I have removed the two SATA drives in anticipation - so fully committed to that course of action now.  Answer Desk Support team tried to take me through a safe mode option but to no avail.  Thanks for your interest, though.
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 11:36 AM

All replies

• Please repost your inquiry to the experts in the more appropriate Windows 7 Repair & Recovery Forum.  Thank you.

Carey Frisch

Friday, March 8, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Thanks for the advice.  Just re-posted.  
    Friday, March 8, 2013 6:39 PM
  • I have absolutely no idea why Carey advised that course of action

Please post an MGADiag report, and we'll see what the *real* situation is - and with a bit of luck be able to correct  the problem.

MS Support is renowned for getting such diagnoses wrong.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Friday, March 8, 2013 9:10 PM
  • OP (Longshanks0511) stated: " I can't even run a diagnostic tool or anything more than a McAfee full scan...."

Carey Frisch

Friday, March 8, 2013 10:44 PM
  • That's right - I can't import anything and have no internet access on that PC.  Windows has, in effect, imposed a complete lockdown.  I have resigned myself to retrieving everything I need via an HDD enclosure followed by a complete re-installation of the OS.
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 9:42 AM
  • Ah - in that case you have many more problems than just a simple non-genuine notification.

Can you boot to Safe Mode? Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

What about the Repair Environment? ('Repair My Computer')

If you can get into any of those, then we may be able to fix it.

Saturday, March 9, 2013 9:57 AM
  • The HDD enclosure is on order and I have removed the two SATA drives in anticipation - so fully committed to that course of action now.  Answer Desk Support team tried to take me through a safe mode option but to no avail.  Thanks for your interest, though.
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 11:36 AM
  • Good luck with it!

Saturday, March 9, 2013 11:43 AM