Dell Reinstall of Windows Vista creates product key different from my own RRS feed

• Question

• I am reinstalling Vista Business 32-bit on a Dell Vostro 1700 using a CD that Dell provided to me.  The install never asks for my Product Key.  Using the MGADiag tool, I can see that the Product ID is 89576-OEM-7332141-00054 and the final digits of the Product Key are different than the Product Key on my machine's sticker.  The system validates.

After reinstalling my other software, I eventually get the 'unauthorized change' validation problem even though this is all licensed software that I was previously using.  Falling back to very early restore points doesn't seem to get rid of the problem.  It resurfaces sooner or later.

Could the Dell supplied Product Key be the problem??  Would more than one person have this key and how would Vista Genuine handle this case? 

p.s. I am reinstalling yet again and this time I changed the product key to the one on my machine and that also validated.  But... I am terrified to go any further installing other products.  I'm running MGADiag between every step, but will that reliably let me know when something goes wrong?

Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:42 PM

Answers

• Once you have created your Own thread, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool found at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Run the Tool, click "Continue" then click the "Copy" button. Return to your new Thread and Paste the report into the thread along with a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 1, 2009 8:04 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:49 AM