none
BIOS update from other manufacturer, do I need to activate again? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently flashed my XFX 590 SLi to a Foxconn C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H BIOS.

I just logged into Windows Vista and the motherboard manufacturer has now changed from NVIDIA to Foxconn. Will I eventually need to call microsoft and explain myself (like if I reinstall) or will it be alright?

It's the same board, just a BIOS written by a different company. The boards are physically identical. 

I really didn't want to pay $50 just to get this answer.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:33 AM

Answers

• Hello Sam,

If your Vista came pre-installed on the computer and the computer was manufactured by a large company (Dell, HP, Gateway, so on) you may have an issue. Vista that comes pre-installed on a computer will look for special instuction in the Motherboard Bios so it can self-activate. If you  flash the Bios, it's possible that the Specal Instructions could be overwritten which would cause Vista to show Not Activated and possibly Non-Genuine.  Don't worry, in that case, all you would just need to do is change out the product key to the one listed on the COA sticker on the side or bottom of the computer. Reactivate using that Product key and your done.

Now, I don't know many Dell or HP computers that have a XFX 590 SLI motherboard, so I believe you may have self-built the computer (or the computer was build by a local small 'mom & pop' type computer shop).  In that case, you would have either a Retail or OEM System Builder version of Vista installed. In that case, the only thing that flashing the bios might cause is that you may have to reactivate Vista(but that is unlikely unless you have recently added or replaced a large number of parts on the computer).  If you do need to reactivate, try over the Internet, first. If that fails, try the Activate by Phone method after.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:43 PM