Hard Drive error RRS feed

• Question

• My server is predicting a hd failure but whs says all hd's are healthy. This is my primary drive so I hope RC1 comes out pretty soon

===========================================================

Model:   ST3500641AS        
        Firmware Revision:   3.AJJ
    Capacity:   465.76 GB   Type:   SATA
    OS Assigned Name:   Disk 0

============================================================

-Mike

Friday, June 1, 2007 2:25 AM

Answers

• Just general warning: please don't assume that WHS "Health" measurement is all-encompassing, it is not. WHS understands some aspects of system health, but certainly not all of them, so if some other component gives you warning (like SMART here), don't think that green WHS icon suggests you to ignore it.

I guess each next WHS version will have more and more comprehensive health assessment, but it will never be 100%... think of WHS health indicator as an integration of SOME health parameters.

Saturday, June 2, 2007 6:11 AM

All replies

• If you're seeing a prediction of a hard drive failure from S.M.A.R.T., then you should assume that your drive is going to fail soon. The reports I've seen of this type of error with WHS mostly seem to be like yours: S.M.A.R.T. shows an error but WHS doesn't, then the drive fails. It's not clear why, unless WHS is only reporting a drive problem if it's getting read errors or something. Maybe the WHS team can shed some light?
    Friday, June 1, 2007 3:44 AM
  • Mike -

My understanding is WHS just asks the disk:

"You there?"

"Yep"

And reports everyhting is okay.

Trust SMART and replace that puppy before it blows up.

Friday, June 1, 2007 7:55 AM
  • Yeah, if it can read and write to it successfully then it's working as far as WHS can tell; I have wondered if it raises an alert if a CHKDSK returns anything other than OK?
    Friday, June 1, 2007 12:42 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:
    Yeah, if it can read and write to it successfully then it's working as far as WHS can tell; I have wondered if it raises an alert if a CHKDSK returns anything other than OK?

Yes it does for me. Chkdsk runs automatically every 6 hours, and if it returns with an error, the console shows the yellow alert.

Dirk

Friday, June 1, 2007 1:23 PM
  • Mike

Before I'd toss the drive I'd run "Spinrite" on it. It's available from grc.com and Steve has a great write upuip about "smart" status on hard drives

I had my c: drive on my xp PC stop booting. Ran Spinrite and it repaired it. I have no problems with the since(3 months)....
    Friday, June 1, 2007 1:58 PM
  • I will go look at spinrite thanks for pointing me to that although I am not to worried I have three spare 500gb Sata drives I am just hoping Rc1 arrives before this one decides to die.

I am thinking of setting up Raid 1 on my primary drives for just this reason the only reason I didn''t do it to begin with was bacause I didn't want to waste a 500gb drive. I am going to look for some smaller drives and an eSATA external drive enclosure for the 500gb drives.

-Mike 

Friday, June 1, 2007 11:25 PM
  • Just general warning: please don't assume that WHS "Health" measurement is all-encompassing, it is not. WHS understands some aspects of system health, but certainly not all of them, so if some other component gives you warning (like SMART here), don't think that green WHS icon suggests you to ignore it.

I guess each next WHS version will have more and more comprehensive health assessment, but it will never be 100%... think of WHS health indicator as an integration of SOME health parameters.

Saturday, June 2, 2007 6:11 AM
  • As an aside, is it possible for a third party to 'hook' into the WHS icon and generate other warnings or pop-ups?

Colin

Saturday, June 2, 2007 6:04 PM
  • Yes, you can use WHS SDK to generate notifications (which define "health", show up in health details and generate bubbles from the tray) .
    Saturday, June 2, 2007 6:28 PM
  • Thanks for the update, Dirk
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 8:59 PM