After setting up a OneCare circle I still have a need to give access to my wifi to a work laptop that doesn't have OneCare. RRS feed

• Question

• After setting up a OneCare circle I still have a need to give wifi access to one or more work laptop that don't run OneCare.  How do I do this? 

A few weeks or months ago when I began trying to do this I made many attempts at following the manual procedure for allowing access.  This involved keying in a 25 character key every attempt.  This got real old after the first dozen or so attempts but I had to go manual as my hub computer is apparently too old to run a flash drive.

So, please walk me through this carefully, as I must be doing something fundamentally wrong.

Thanks!

Rick
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Stephen and thanks for responding (I deleted my other post in this thread as "Details" did appear and I was able to gather the SSID, Encryption Type and Network Key).

For the record, I did use OneCare to secure the network and the network name is OneCare_9998, my hub is a desktop that runs XP and I have two laptops that run Vista, and they all work flawlessly together.

The new problem (inability to access the OneCare_9998 network using laptops that don't have Onecare) is now also resolved.  I was finally able to get the drivers to install for the flash drive on the hub pc and the laptop and, after several attempts, finally got the Network Key and the associated install files to load on the flash drive and open on the laptop. 

Thanks, as always, for your patience and understanding!
    Friday, September 12, 2008 7:13 PM

All replies

• Did you use OneCare to secure the network? If not, then it has nothing to do with OneCare and everything to do with the key that is stored on the wireless router and how to enter that into the connection information on the other PCs.

If you used OneCare to secure the network, the details would appear and could be copied to the other PCs manually.

-steve

Friday, September 12, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Hi Stephen and thanks for responding (I deleted my other post in this thread as "Details" did appear and I was able to gather the SSID, Encryption Type and Network Key).

For the record, I did use OneCare to secure the network and the network name is OneCare_9998, my hub is a desktop that runs XP and I have two laptops that run Vista, and they all work flawlessly together.

The new problem (inability to access the OneCare_9998 network using laptops that don't have Onecare) is now also resolved.  I was finally able to get the drivers to install for the flash drive on the hub pc and the laptop and, after several attempts, finally got the Network Key and the associated install files to load on the flash drive and open on the laptop. 

Thanks, as always, for your patience and understanding!
    Friday, September 12, 2008 7:13 PM