WHS will not backup external drives on my other systems RRS feed

• Question

• All is well with backing up internal drives of our other wireless systems, but when it comes down to backing up the external usb drives whs fails every time. It fails on my video production machine with 1.5T externals. On my photo editing box, when it tries to back up the external usb hard drive the whole photo box hangs and has to be rebooted. The show room box also has an external that will not backup. All internal drives make it ok, but externals fail without any effort. I have tried to backup with a wired connection and have had the same results. Thoughts?

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:37 PM

Answers

• Well I did not get to install the WHS toolkit this weekend - the life of a photographer is not one of much additional time. However, we were off the network on Saturday and my Dell pc did back up the external drive. The issue has to be with bandwidth, or the lack thereof. If the network is active, in other words all the supported pc's are up running and processing, the bandwidth drops to less than 10 mbps and at times as low as 5. Therefore, it really appears that WHS may not be the culprit after all - and we all knew that it wasn't. I will get the toolkit installed, as that is not a bad idea at all. Thank you for your time and efforts. Let's see, now I need a network guru.

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:55 AM

All replies

• Let's break this down:

• What operating system is running on these 2 computers?
    • Are the external drives FireWire or USB?  USB 2 or the incredibly slow (not supported) USB 1?
    • Are the drives formatted as NTFS?  - Lock at the Properties for the hard drives and see what "File System:" is listed
    • If you go to the Windows Home Server Console - Computers & Backup tab - and click on the Computer and then select the "Configure Backup" button - do you see both the internal and external drives listed when you get to the "Choose Volumes to Backup" page of the wizard?
    • Do the hard drives have errors when you run a CHKDSK on them?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:49 AM
  •  

• What operating system is running on these 2 computers? Actually 3. ----2 Win XP pro and 1 xp home
    • Are the external drives FireWire or USB?  USB 2 or the incredibly slow (not supported) USB 1? ---USB 2
    • Are the drives formatted as NTFS?  - Lock at the Properties for the hard drives and see what "File System:" is listed - all are NTFS
    • If you go to the Windows Home Server Console - Computers & Backup tab - and click on the Computer and then select the "Configure Backup" button - do you see both the internal and external drives listed when you get to the "Choose Volumes to Backup" page of the wizard?-- All drives are shown.
    • Do the hard drives have errors when you run a CHKDSK on them? Ran CHKDSK on all drives - all ok.

I have no clue what to do next. Our video edit box has two externals, so I tried just one. No go. I tried again on my new DELL, the photo retouch box, and the backup failed - at least this time the box did not hang when whs tried to back up the external drive, it just simply died.

Thoughts?

Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:03 PM
  •  

Do you have the Windows Home Server Toolkit installed on your PCs and your home Server?  It would be great if you could Send the Logs for your PCs and your home server and post the CAB number here.

Link to Toolkit Manual --> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=108364

Link to downloadable toolkit --> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=98601

Friday, March 14, 2008 3:03 PM
  • Will do this weekend sometime.

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Well I did not get to install the WHS toolkit this weekend - the life of a photographer is not one of much additional time. However, we were off the network on Saturday and my Dell pc did back up the external drive. The issue has to be with bandwidth, or the lack thereof. If the network is active, in other words all the supported pc's are up running and processing, the bandwidth drops to less than 10 mbps and at times as low as 5. Therefore, it really appears that WHS may not be the culprit after all - and we all knew that it wasn't. I will get the toolkit installed, as that is not a bad idea at all. Thank you for your time and efforts. Let's see, now I need a network guru.

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:55 AM