Adding Bluetooth to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install a bluetooth dongle to my WHS 2011 server and got the following error:

"The program cannot start because bthprops.cpl is missing from your computer.   Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

This came up during the installation of the device software and drivers.  My guess here is that WHS 2011 does not have bluetooth capability pre-installed in its package.  Is there any way that I can add the missing software to the server so that I can use the dongle?

Ron

Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:45 PM

Answers

• Windows Server 2008 R2 (the base OS for Windows Home Server 2011) has a rudimentary Bluetooth stack. For sophisticated  Bluetooth functionality, however, you're really out of luck. There's a way to get the Bluetooth stack from Windows 7 x64 to run on Windows Server 2008 R2, but A) it's not supported, B) it violates the EULA for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (you're "reverse engineering" functionality), and C) it requires turning off driver signing enforcement during the boot process every time you reboot the server, so it's not really a useful workaround for a headless server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Ron VanD Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:27 AM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 12:47 AM

All replies

• Windows Server 2008 R2 (the base OS for Windows Home Server 2011) has a rudimentary Bluetooth stack. For sophisticated  Bluetooth functionality, however, you're really out of luck. There's a way to get the Bluetooth stack from Windows 7 x64 to run on Windows Server 2008 R2, but A) it's not supported, B) it violates the EULA for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (you're "reverse engineering" functionality), and C) it requires turning off driver signing enforcement during the boot process every time you reboot the server, so it's not really a useful workaround for a headless server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Ron VanD Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:27 AM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 12:47 AM
  • I was afraid of that.  Thanks anyway Ken.

Ron

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:27 AM
  • Well then, perhaps a rudimentary Bluetooth stack will have to do in my case (WHS2011 w/ 2x Win8 Pro Clients).  I do not know what this basic stack will do, or won't do, but will it at least grant me some level of BT access to WHS2011?  If yes, where to obtain a driver that will no-fuzz-install (NFI) on WHS2011?  No luck at the original manufacture  or its partner (ASUS E45M1-I MB w/ atheros BT).  Any ideas, please?  Thank you.

Friday, November 23, 2012 10:09 AM