none
Problem marking thread as a SPAM and deleting it RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

If I mark a message as a SPAM, I can not delete it right away. I have to go out of the thread, go back and only then I am able to delete it. It sounds like a minor inconvenience.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Sunday, August 5, 2012 11:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• HI Naomi !

I am able to mark a post as spam and delete it right away without any problem. Are you experiencing it in some specific forum or in All forums. Please check it here at Forum Issues Forum if you are able to Report Abuse and delete right away.

Please let me know if this helps. Hopefully i have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham

Sunday, August 5, 2012 7:06 PM
  • I've tried several times today when I first marked message as SPAM (there were messages about some movie or Olympic Games) and then trying to delete it. I am using Google Chrome.

I am going to create a test now with my own message in this forum.

Actually, I found I can not mark my own message as SPAM, so I need to test it with someone's else message. But since I got this problem today at least twice, may be I don't need to test it.

I know it is indeed a problem using Google Chrome.

My blog

Sunday, August 5, 2012 7:08 PM
  • HI !

I am using Firefox, may be that's why i am not seeing this issue. You want me to create a test post so you can mark it as spam and check.

Okay here is a thread that i have created here;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/reportabug/thread/fbe06828-c9d5-412a-aa0f-d903b999844a

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Sunday, August 5, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Thanks, using this thread (which I undeleted first), I got exactly the same behavior I am describing. However, it was in technet instead of MSDN and I could see that Delete button and all other buttons became disabled.

My blog

Monday, August 6, 2012 3:27 AM
  • I think this is "By Design". Maybe not the exiting and returning part, but I thought you had to clear a flag before you can delete the post.

Thanks!

Monday, August 6, 2012 5:55 AM
    Owner
  • I don't think this is really by design and of course we don't want to clear the abuse flag before deleting the thread. May be I need to just delete it without marking as abuse first. However, I am hoping that when I mark a thread as abuse, it gets to forum's admin queue and these users are banned in addition to deleting the threads. Otherwise I would just delete the SPAM threads or report them first using different venue, although it's an extra work.

My blog

Monday, August 6, 2012 7:34 AM
  • I don't think this is really by design and of course we don't want to clear the abuse flag before deleting the thread. May be I need to just delete it without marking as abuse first. However, I am hoping that when I mark a thread as abuse, it gets to forum's admin queue and these users are banned in addition to deleting the threads. Otherwise I would just delete the SPAM threads or report them first using different venue, although it's an extra work.

My blog

I can't repro in MSDN. You only got it in TechNet?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:04 AM
    Owner
  • I got this behavior in MSDN using Google Chrome. Was it the browser you tested with? However, I think this is the problem with the new threads with a single message only as I've just made a test with your message and didn't have a problem flagging and deleting.

My blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:11 AM
  • I got this behavior in MSDN using Google Chrome. Was it the browser you tested with? However, I think this is the problem with the new threads with a single message only as I've just made a test with your message and didn't have a problem flagging and deleting.

My blog

Yes. Also MSDN and Chrome. You're probably right.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 11:25 PM
    Owner
  • I am wondering if it's necessary to mark the thread as SPAM before deleting in order to the OP to be banned? Can you please find out if the messages marked abusive as SPAM automatically get to someone's queue? Because it's an extra work for me if I can just delete the message with SPAM reason.

My blog

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:58 AM
  • I am wondering if it's necessary to mark the thread as SPAM before deleting in order to the OP to be banned? Can you please find out if the messages marked abusive as SPAM automatically get to someone's queue? Because it's an extra work for me if I can just delete the message with SPAM reason.

My blog

A few answers here...

- If you delete without marking as SPAM then obviously it won't bubble up as SPAM to the support team.

- Messages marked as SPAM do get queued to the support team for banning. Yes.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:18 AM
    Owner
  • Recently I deleted about 20+ messages manually. Most of them were already marked as SPAM by either SPAM filter or a forum's user.

My blog

Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:43 AM
  • I try to mark posts as spam before deleting. I don't recall the need to exit before I delete (TechNet forums, IE 9). I asked in a thread if I was wasting my time and an administrator replied that it helps them when we mark posts as abusive. However, I try to always request these users be banned (after checking that there is no legitimate activity) by filling out the form here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/5041.how-to-ban-or-report-a-technet-or-msdn-user-account.aspx

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:51 AM
  • I got this problem again now with this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/6d6822bb-783a-4f83-bdf5-25a9f0304622

I first marked it as abuse and then I was unable to delete it right away, I had to go out and return back in order to delete.

My blog

Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:34 AM