MediaCenter 2005 validation required after driver update RRS feed

• Question

• I recently put together a brand new pc with a brand new copy of MC 2005. It was loaded only once and on this new pc. Recently I updated my drivers for the 790i chipset with the latest nVidia driver and updated my SB X-Fi Gamer audio card drivers as well.

All went well and I logged off for the night. Next day I log back in and I receive notification that major hardware changes had occurred and I needed to revalidate my OS copy. So I went to revalidate it and was then told I had exceeded my allowed instances to load the OS. After going through the lengthy phone call and saying that there were hardware upgrades done when in fact nothing with the OS or hardware had been changed, I was able to continue as normal. I also observed that all my restoration points had been wiped so there was no way to rollback the pc. Is this another feature with MC 2005?

Is this to be expected after I upgrade drivers, to be forced to revalidate each time?

OS's used to allow three installations before requiring the phonecall with MS. Did this change?

Please keep in mind the OS was already registered with MS as are all my pc OS's.

Any insight to what is going on would be helpful.

Thanks

Monday, June 2, 2008 3:27 AM

Answers

•  

Belchfire,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge.

Yes,  online activation may be suspended after a certain amount of time reinstalling Windows XP and/or after significant hardware changes have been put in place on the current system to ensure you are following the EULA. You will most likely have to do activate the operating machine via telephone activation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851/en-us

For discussions in Windows XP Media Center Edition please visit this newgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter

Lori MS

Thursday, June 5, 2008 10:38 PM