What should i do after new Installation ? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear moderator,

I have some kind a question regarding on my computer problem. At the first time installation windows XP, i was using not Genuine CD with crack CD-Key. But after that i bought a new CD Windows XP Pro - OEM the Genuine(ASLI) one. And to make sort my time then i was using this tools "KeyUpdateTool_enu.exe" for updating my CD KEY with the original one following after restart by installing this software WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe.

After doing that, it change the product ID which is i can see by right clicking my computer then properties then at the general tab i can see the product id was change, from there isn't written OEM become written OEM later on.

And after a long time using the computer, my computer got infected by some kind of virus and making my computer slow down. And i trying to decide to reinstalled with the ORIGINAL CD that i already bought before.

But the question is, what would be happen if i'm doing such of thing. Is it i have start actived again my CD-Key or what ? Because i blind about this.

For your return answer, i shall say thank you.

Best regards,

Ricky W
    Friday, December 7, 2007 9:33 PM

Answers

• If you reinstall Windows XP, be sure and use your genuine Windows XP CD and the prduct key that came with it.  When you are presented with the Product Activation screen, then attempt to activate via the internet.  If internet activation fails, then you'll need to "activate by phone" to obtain an activation code (at no charge).

How to Activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Friday, December 7, 2007 10:39 PM
  • Ricky,

The forum doesn't support the use of cracked and non-genuine software.  You mentioned using a crack Cd-Key. Also were you using a Windows disc downloaded from the internet?  Under NO circumstances should you try to download an ISO image for software from a P2P file sharing site, or use a second-hand burned copy of an XP CDROM.  These have been shown to be full of root kits, malware, viruses and who knows what else---you'd be worse off than you are now. 

Why would you take the risk of using one of those?  Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and who knows what else.

Next question is you mention purchasing an OEM Genuine (ASLI) one. Can you tell me what you mean by using ASLI?  Ricky the best bet for your situation is ensuring you have Genuine Software and perform a complete reinstallation from groud up.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Saturday, December 8, 2007 12:55 AM

All replies

• If you reinstall Windows XP, be sure and use your genuine Windows XP CD and the prduct key that came with it.  When you are presented with the Product Activation screen, then attempt to activate via the internet.  If internet activation fails, then you'll need to "activate by phone" to obtain an activation code (at no charge).

How to Activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Friday, December 7, 2007 10:39 PM
  • Thanks for your answer . I'll try to do that.
    And another think,
    1st. Is it ok to reinstalled with the same CD Windows XP-OEM Original several time in the same computer ?
    2nd. Is it everytime i reinstalled the windows, i have to activate the windows ?
    3rd. Is it ok for me also to do with the same thing as i did before like the way i post at the first posting ?

For your kindly answer, i shall say thank you.

Regards,

Ricky w
    Friday, December 7, 2007 11:07 PM
  • Ricky,

The forum doesn't support the use of cracked and non-genuine software.  You mentioned using a crack Cd-Key. Also were you using a Windows disc downloaded from the internet?  Under NO circumstances should you try to download an ISO image for software from a P2P file sharing site, or use a second-hand burned copy of an XP CDROM.  These have been shown to be full of root kits, malware, viruses and who knows what else---you'd be worse off than you are now. 

Why would you take the risk of using one of those?  Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and who knows what else.

Next question is you mention purchasing an OEM Genuine (ASLI) one. Can you tell me what you mean by using ASLI?  Ricky the best bet for your situation is ensuring you have Genuine Software and perform a complete reinstallation from groud up.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Saturday, December 8, 2007 12:55 AM
  • Well i'm not attend to use the non-genuine since i has the Genuine one. ASLI was microsoft product in my Country in Indonesia the meaning was GENUINE in English Smile.

In the end, i would to get some answer from my number 1 and 2 question. I hope you can help me on this, as well for gain my knowledge.

Regards,

Ricky W
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 7:54 AM