Remote Access under WHS settings reporting incorrectly that it does not work RRS feed

• Question

• I'll try to keep this short.  WHS could not automatically configure my router a Linksys BSFR41, even with Upnp turned on.  So I configured manually and all was well.  Then about a month ago, I changed routers to a Dlink, but never could get it to work to my satisfaction.  So I scrapped the Dlink and went back to my Linksys.  Remote access works fine as it always has, but now the Remote Access setup feature reports that Remote Access is not working and that my webpage is not accessable.  This is not true, it works just fine.  When I refresh the tab under Domain Name Details, it checks green that I have an internet connection to Windows Live (true); it checks green that it updated Windows Live Domains (true); it shows red that I have access to my website from the internet (not true); it shows red that Remote Access is accessable from the internet (not true) and it shows green verifying Windows Live Custom Domain records (true). How do I get the errors to go away, or do I just have to accept that some things cannot be changed?
    Thanks in advance.

As always, perplexed by Windows
    • Edited by Ben2ku Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:04 PM typo
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:09 PM

All replies

• Try turning remote access off, then back on.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Thanks Ken for getting back to me quickly.  I did try, and just tried again to turn off and go through the process of cofiguration via the wizard, but that always fails due to some issue with my router.  Again, it all works, but WHS doesn't think it does.  Not a big deal, just one of those things that bugs me since it was once working.  
    Thanks again. 
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:03 PM
  • What did you manually set on the BEFSR41?
    --
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:24 PM
  • What did you manually set on the BEFSR41?
    --

I set the port forwarding for ports 443 and 4125 per the instuctions for manual router settings. The website and remote access actually work, its just that WHS shows an error that remote access is not available for the server.  I made something mad when I tried to use the dlink router.
    Again, not a big deal, just thought I'd see if anyone else had this issue and knew how to fix.
    Thanks,
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:48 AM
  • The test for availability uses port 80, which you also need to forward.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:50 AM
  • The test for availability uses port 80, which you also need to forward.

The UPnP port forwarding had already successfully set port 80, otherwise the WHS website would not be working from the internet, so I only needed to manually forward the other two.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:47 AM
  • Normally UPnP will either forward all ports, or none. If you already had port 80 forwarded somewhere, did you check to see if it was forwarded to the correct IP address?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:06 AM