none
Job Resource Usage report pedantry RRS feed

• Question

• I've been looking through the help and Googling, but I can't find the answer to the following question:
    What exactly goes in to the "Total Run Time" column in the Job Resource Usage report?

Total Run Time: The biggest unresolved question is whether this value is the time from when the job was submitted until the time that the job ended?  Or is the time from when the job-start?  On our other clusters, it's common for jobs to sit around for 24 hours or more before the nodes are available to run it.  It would clearly be unfair to charge the user for not using the cluster.

Total CPU Hours: Does this value log just the CPU cycles used, but not the time that the processes were sitting around blocking and waiting for I/O?

Thanks,
    -Luke
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:42 PM

Answers

• According to our Reporting gurus:
    The Total Job Runtime is the time between the start of the jobs execution and its completion time.  It does not include the time that it is waiting to run.

The Total CPU Hours is the total time in hours of job kernel time plus job user time.  It does not include time when processes were blocked.

We've let the documentation team know that a documentation is required.

Thanks,
    Josh

-Josh
    Friday, October 9, 2009 12:52 AM

All replies

• According to our Reporting gurus:
    The Total Job Runtime is the time between the start of the jobs execution and its completion time.  It does not include the time that it is waiting to run.

The Total CPU Hours is the total time in hours of job kernel time plus job user time.  It does not include time when processes were blocked.

We've let the documentation team know that a documentation is required.

Thanks,
    Josh

-Josh
    Friday, October 9, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Many thanks!  That answers my question completely!

-Luke
    Friday, October 9, 2009 2:42 PM