WHS Keeps running out of space of 20GB Partition (C Drive) RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS keeps running out of space, I free up space by deleteing temp files etc but when I look next time, space is gone.

I have deleted all programs that I feel are not required but space in the 20GB partition just keeps running out of space.

I am also unable to run desktop search to find temp files, it just won't run.

Can someone please help, this is so frustrating, so far have found nothing on the net that will help me.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:05 AM

Answers

• I was unable to delete files, so uninstalled Avast, this released 13GB, looking at the logs before uninstalling, there were literally hundreds of messages saying that the Virus DB was corrupt.

I am now looking for another anti virus.

Thanks again for the help.

Saturday, December 19, 2009 6:12 AM

All replies

• Mr Big D, can you tell me if your server is OEM Machine or is it home built, can you also tell me how big your storage pool is. Because when the system software gets update or new security updates are installed etc, then the 20gb gets larger mine at present is around 40gb, so that 20gb is when your install the OS.
    HMG
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:20 AM
  • Hello,
    you could download TreeSize free and install it on your server (unsupported).
    This should show you, where the most disk space hungry folders are located.
    Often these are the IIS logfiles in subfolders of C:\Windows\system32\Logfiles or some WHS specific logfiles (Start/Run/%qlogs%). If you have installed unsupported applications (like SQL Server) these may also be the root cause for filling your system drive disk space that quick.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 14, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Its a Tranquil PC, I have 2 1TB drives, the allocation for the C:\ is 20GB and has not increased at all since I got it.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 5:00 PM
  • I have used Treesize and it looks as though the problem is in Avast, the log folder seems to have hundreds of error entries, each of which is 4mb each!

Tried to delete these but not able too.

Monday, December 14, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Thanks to you both for the help so far!

Monday, December 14, 2009 5:42 PM
  • I think you will be able to delete the log files, which are older than the most current. (Details view, sort by date column and delete the older ones.)
    Better is to understand the problem in the log files and solve it.
    Is it the Windows Home Server version of Avast Antivirus on your machine?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:48 PM
  • I was unable to delete files, so uninstalled Avast, this released 13GB, looking at the logs before uninstalling, there were literally hundreds of messages saying that the Virus DB was corrupt.

I am now looking for another anti virus.

Thanks again for the help.

Saturday, December 19, 2009 6:12 AM
  • C drive run out of space is very common problem, delete files and uninstall programs can only solve this problem temporarily. See this article, it is very clear how to solve C drive run out of space problem .
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:52 PM
  • C drive run out of space is very common problem, delete files and uninstall programs can only solve this problem temporarily. See this article, it is very clear how to solve C drive run out of space problem .

I wouldn't recommend that anyone resizes their partitions as a solution if using Windows Home Server.  HDDs seem to be your bag so you might be interested in the tech brief from Microsoft - on Windows Home Server (just in case you forgot which forum you were advertising in! ;-)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=40C6C9CC-B85F-45FE-8C5C-F103C894A5E2&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

--

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:03 PM