Server Reinstallation taking a while... RRS feed

• Question

• So I've finally gotten around to installing RTM over my nearly expired RC.  The reinstallation has seemed to work as designed, until I get to "Installing Windows Home Server".  Now, there's no progress on the progress bar, the cursor occasionally flashes to an hourglass and then back to the cursor, and hard drive access is almost constant.  Is this simply the operating system locating and cataloguing my existing data files, or is something genuinely wrong?  If the former, how long should I expect this to take?  If the latter, how can I resolve this?

Friday, February 8, 2008 10:48 PM

Answers

•  Don3580 wrote:

So I've finally gotten around to installing RTM over my nearly expired RC.  The reinstallation has seemed to work as designed, until I get to "Installing Windows Home Server".  Now, there's no progress on the progress bar, the cursor occasionally flashes to an hourglass and then back to the cursor, and hard drive access is almost constant.  Is this simply the operating system locating and cataloguing my existing data files, or is something genuinely wrong?  If the former, how long should I expect this to take?  If the latter, how can I resolve this?

That's normal.  Depending on how much data you have on the server, a Reinstallation could potentially take a couple days...

Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:01 AM