WGA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

WGA will download, but not install. Everytime I try to update, it wants me to install WGA. However, it shows the file as 0 files and 0 KB. I can't find it on my hard drive to install manualy.  Message..."The following updates were not installed: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)"

I tried all the advice in the other forums (nothing has worked) you are my last resort. No problems until latley.

I had Dell build my computer, XP Media and the only other error message received was 0x80072ee7. Below is the WGA diagnostic tool report. Help!

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-RVF66-GP7VM-8CFT3
    Windows Product Key Hash: tJB30tZY737ZFJYewUg2SpzsCb0=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00825
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med
    Download Center code: 6D6Y38B
    ID: 77b96dfc-8ef0-40c0-a4be-7dfe4a3ff29f
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.526.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>77b96dfc-8ef0-40c0-a4be-7dfe4a3ff29f</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-8CFT3</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00825</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-382201109-3858296910-1001542962</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 8400               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Version>A05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050316000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>B0E237970184E06D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91130409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>929218D80A99724</Val><Hash>26ylXMMuG5A4dGiVWPDtesYSYoI=</Hash><Pid>73102-OEM-5691403-43527</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, May 29, 2006 11:38 AM

Answers

• Scarlet,

The default location is c:\windows\downloaded program files

Sorry my suggestions didn't work, you have a tough nut to crack!

Let me paste in a post from Phil Liu of MS that has a link for free email support for this problem:

"I would suggest going through a support request (free link below) in order to get more personal support as well, since it may be a registry change or something more detailed that needs to be done.

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

-Phil Liu"

Hopefully they can fix you up. Good Luck!

Monday, May 29, 2006 7:05 PM
  • I was also having KB892130 (and recently some others, I'm sure all for the same reason) download but fail to install.  I tried this:

> From the Internet Explorer topline menu, choose Tools>Manage Add-Ons.  In the Manage Add-Ons window, select "Add-ons that have been used by IE" then scroll down to the bottom looking for "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool."

but WGA wasn't listed.  so i just did this (in firefox even):

> follow this link to activate at a microsoft.com website separate from Windows Updates:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

after that, KB892130 installed successfully and i'm guessing the others will too.  thanks for the tip!

i guess i somehow wasn't re-validated with a current enough version whatever or whatnot.  dumb.  dumb that with a valid copy of windows i have to use stuff like this on some message board that i found from some other message board to get windows update to start working again.
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:23 PM

All replies

• Scarlet,

Windows validation is reporting your MCE installation as being valid so no worries there.

Your "WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.526.0." is a bit outdated, so maybe updating it will get it fixed.

From the Internet Explorer topline menu, choose Tools>Manage Add-Ons.  In the Manage Add-Ons window, select "Add-ons that have been used by IE" then scroll down to the bottom looking for "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool."  Select it by clicking on it once, then click the "Update ActiveX" button.  When done, close IE, reopen, then follow this link to activate at a microsoft.com website separate from Windows Updates:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

If successful, close IE, reopen, then go to Windows Updates and see how you make out.

If not successful, again from the IE topline menu, choose Tools, Internet Options, General tab.  In the middle section "Temporary Internet Files," click the Settings button, then the View Objects button.  You will see a list of ActiveX controls.  SCroll down to Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool, right click and select Remove.  Close out IE, reopen, then try Windows Update again.

Post back to let us know if it worked for you.

Monday, May 29, 2006 1:30 PM
  • Dan,

Thanks for the instructions, but they didn't work. I printed them and followed them to the T. It seems that the updates are being downloaded, but they are not being installed. I'm still getting the updates showing 0 kb, 0 minutes. After I go through the process, I get "Updates were unable to be successfully Installed". Also, from your last instructions I removed WGA from my objects. Where do these downloads go to on my hard drive? Can't find them.

Thanks for the help Dan,

Scarlet

Monday, May 29, 2006 5:00 PM
  • Scarlet,

The default location is c:\windows\downloaded program files

Sorry my suggestions didn't work, you have a tough nut to crack!

Let me paste in a post from Phil Liu of MS that has a link for free email support for this problem:

"I would suggest going through a support request (free link below) in order to get more personal support as well, since it may be a registry change or something more detailed that needs to be done.

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

-Phil Liu"

Hopefully they can fix you up. Good Luck!

Monday, May 29, 2006 7:05 PM
  • I was also having KB892130 (and recently some others, I'm sure all for the same reason) download but fail to install.  I tried this:

> From the Internet Explorer topline menu, choose Tools>Manage Add-Ons.  In the Manage Add-Ons window, select "Add-ons that have been used by IE" then scroll down to the bottom looking for "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool."

but WGA wasn't listed.  so i just did this (in firefox even):

> follow this link to activate at a microsoft.com website separate from Windows Updates:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

after that, KB892130 installed successfully and i'm guessing the others will too.  thanks for the tip!

i guess i somehow wasn't re-validated with a current enough version whatever or whatnot.  dumb.  dumb that with a valid copy of windows i have to use stuff like this on some message board that i found from some other message board to get windows update to start working again.
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:23 PM