none
Windows 7 Pro for Refurb PCs key does not work with Win7Prox64 disc RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently received a batch of 20 refurbished HP computers.  They have the original Vista Business OEM sticker/key as well as a brown sticker labeled "Windows 7 Pro for refurb PCs CIT," that includes another key.

I have tried to install windows 7 pro using both an OEM 7x64 dvd purchased from a retail outlet and a Win 7x64 restore DVD from a major manufacturer (not HP).

In neither case does the refurb key get accepted as valid.

How does one activate the Windows 7 license in this case?

Friday, January 31, 2014 6:07 PM

Answers

• That certainly sounds genuine enough.

When you state that the Key is not accepted as valid, at what stage does this happen? - right at the end of entering the Key, or during activation?

If the latter, then it's probably just a case of needing Telephone activation.

If it's the former, then the usual reason is mis-reading the Key.

telephone activation (operator calls)

Click on the Start button

in the Search box, type

SLUI   4

and hit the Enter key

follow the instructions, but when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you 

0xC004F050 usually means that you've misread a character - either C/G/6 or B/8 or Y/V are the most common, an O/0 is almost always a Q

Note that the following characters cannot be used - A E I L N O S U Z 1 0 - so don't bother trying unless you like the noise it makes :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Monday, February 3, 2014 4:08 PM

All replies

• Please describe the 'refurb' sticker - many of these are counterfeits.

See here....

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en-gb/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=wdOVzy1csok?faq5

Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Thanks for the help. :-) 

I have a photo with the actual key obfuscated but can't insert it here.

In the meanwhile, the stickers that are on the box are the original blue Windows Vista OEM sticker from HP and a light brown Windows 7 Refurb sticker.

It looks like any other Windows 7 sticker, save the color and the notation "Windows 7 Pro for refurb PCs CIT," at the top and "For Use On A Refurbished PC. No Commercial Value For Activation Only," near the bottom.  It also has the usual MS name, barcodes et al.

I am reasonably positive it is legitimate as our school district purchased them from one of two large vendors we deal with for this type of equipment.  We downgraded them in house to XP but since it has the license I am upgrading them back to Win7.

Again, however, your help is appreciated and if I can post a photo or link to same I will if it helps in the resolution of this issue.

Monday, February 3, 2014 1:45 PM
  • That certainly sounds genuine enough.

When you state that the Key is not accepted as valid, at what stage does this happen? - right at the end of entering the Key, or during activation?

If the latter, then it's probably just a case of needing Telephone activation.

If it's the former, then the usual reason is mis-reading the Key.

telephone activation (operator calls)

Click on the Start button

in the Search box, type

SLUI   4

and hit the Enter key

follow the instructions, but when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you 

0xC004F050 usually means that you've misread a character - either C/G/6 or B/8 or Y/V are the most common, an O/0 is almost always a Q

Note that the following characters cannot be used - A E I L N O S U Z 1 0 - so don't bother trying unless you like the noise it makes :)

Monday, February 3, 2014 4:08 PM
  • A refurbish DVD or image must be used for a refurbished COA.  I think any licensed refurbisher would have them.
    Friday, August 22, 2014 2:59 PM
  • I have recently received a batch of 20 refurbished HP computers.  They have the original Vista Business OEM sticker/key as well as a brown sticker labeled "Windows 7 Pro for refurb PCs CIT," that includes another key.

I have tried to install windows 7 pro using both an OEM 7x64 dvd purchased from a retail outlet and a Win 7x64 restore DVD from a major manufacturer (not HP).

In neither case does the refurb key get accepted as valid.

How does one activate the Windows 7 license in this case?

Saturday, January 13, 2018 11:24 PM
  •  How to activate Windows 7 manually (activate by phone)

1) Click Start, and in the Search box type:   slui.exe  4

2) Next press the 'ENTER' key

3) Select your 'Country' from the list.

4) Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.

5) Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.

6) Explain your problem clearly to the support person.

Carey Frisch

Monday, January 15, 2018 4:05 AM