c drive locked after restore RRS feed

• Question

• Ok hard drive up and died so I purchased a new one same size and did a system restore using the Windows Server 2011 system restore disk.  Many hours later it completed, no errors, and I rebooted.  The system says there is no boot manager.

System is running windows 8

After that I attempted to do a repair with the windows 8 disk and is says the C drive is locked.  Found some places on the web that talk about the unlock command from DOS but that does not seem to exist on the Windows 8 Disk.

Any clue how to unlock a drive, fix the boot manager, or just plan get the restore DVD to restore the computer correctly?

John J. Hughes II

Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:44 PM

Answers

• Ok, booted the windows 8 DVD, advanced mode, command prompt.  From the C:\Windows directory I ran "bootrec /fixboot", this got me to safe mode which allowed me to get everything working.

John J. Hughes II

Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:48 PM

All replies

• The boot manager is normally stored on the system partition. You will need to restore that as well as the C: partition.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Ok, booted the windows 8 DVD, advanced mode, command prompt.  From the C:\Windows directory I ran "bootrec /fixboot", this got me to safe mode which allowed me to get everything working.

John J. Hughes II

• I restored everything... go figure

John J. Hughes II