Federation DNS records RRS feed

• Question

• After reading the Access Edge Proxy docs I have the following question regarding the DNS records required for federation.  It states that there is a SRV record required _sipfederationtls._tcp.<domain>:5061 required.  I do not think that my DNS group will allow this type of record in our DNS zone.  I would like to know if I can use an A record for this and pass along this information to my partner that will be federated with me? 

It appears to me that if I provide my partner with an A record of my Access Edge Proxy and allow them to connect through my firewall on port 5061 it should work just as well.

Please let me know if anyone else has run into this issue.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:57 PM

Answers

•  

That SRV record is only required for automatic configuration between federated partners, meaning that the partner would only need to enter your SIP domain and they would locate your Access Edge server via the SRv resolution.

Your second point is correct, if they configure the external FQDN of your Access Edge then federation will work.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:54 PM

All replies

• GoDaddy allows you to create this type of SRV record if you are not hosting yourself.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 7:52 AM
  •  

That SRV record is only required for automatic configuration between federated partners, meaning that the partner would only need to enter your SIP domain and they would locate your Access Edge server via the SRv resolution.

Your second point is correct, if they configure the external FQDN of your Access Edge then federation will work.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:54 PM
  •  

Does this also applies to pic?

Judy

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 9:29 PM
  • No. When establishing PIC, part of the process includes supplying your Access Edge FQDN so the oublic services can enable connectivity.  There is a licensing cost involved, as it's not a free service.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 11:06 PM
  • Dear Jeff,

Do I correctly understand from your comment that:

- there is a license for PIC (connectivity to MSN, Yahoo, ..)

- there is NO license needed to enable federation  (except the Windows, OCS, .... license(s) on the Edge servers themselves)

Especially that last statement would be very interesting for us. :-)

Best Regards

Wim

Friday, November 21, 2008 1:21 PM