none
Published with no errors but Setup Locks up

Question

• I used Visual Studio 10 and created a small test project.

After a clean build with no errors, I  published to a folder. Then I burned the contents of the folder to a CD.

After rebooting I put the CD. 

I navigated to the CD Drive and clicked Open

There is folder called Application Files and a setup.exe and WindowsApplication1.application file. 

I launched Setup.exe and a message saying (100% Installing WindowsApplication1) comes up, the progress bar shows that the install is finished (??). Preparing application is also displayed. 

At this point the program freezes, no error messages.  The close (red x) is disabled, and the cancel is grayed out. 

Have I done something wrong or omitted something. 

richard bromberg

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 5:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi VSduffer,

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

Please test the Setup.exe to install the program on your local computer to check whether there are something wrong when you publish this program.

Otherwise, there may be some problems when burning to CD.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 8:20 AM
  • I tested the disk(s) on another computer and on the computer I burned it on. 

This is entirely 100 percent repeatable. I have been working on the issue for two days and have burned about ten disks with identical results. 

I interrupted writing this reply and ran another test. It's a new project with a single form containing 2 check boxes. The build and publish both ran with no errors and I burned a disk. The disk has a folder named "Application Files" and a "setup.exe" file and "WindowsApplication2.application" file.  

When I launch setup.exe I get a security alert telling me that the publisher cannot  be verified and  option to install or don't install.  When I click install a new window  opens with a progress bar that runs across and notice appears across the top  100% installing WindowsApplication2 and that's where it stalls. It just sits there forever. The maximum button is grayed out, the minimize button works properly and close button goes red when you mouse over it, but the window does not close when you click it. The only way to close this window is to hit ALT-F4.  I noticed that this brings up a web page on Bing (not my default web browser) about how to get help on windows 10. Prior to noticing this, I just rebooted the computer.            Please excuse this long reply, I want to supply as much detail as possible.

richard bromberg

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 12:00 PM
  • What kind of project were you creating? I'd try them over here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=csharpgeneral%2Cvbgeneral%2Cvcgeneral%2Cwindowsstore%2Cwpdevelop%2Cwinforms&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Hello,

When you say Visual Studio 10 are you meaning Visual Studio 2010?

if so, I'd suggest upgrading to the free Visual Studio Community Edition or to a paid Visual Studio version.

Also, depending on the method you used to publish the app, you  could ask in the MSBuild forum or for help with InstallSheild, I'd ask on the Flexera forums:

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/forumdisplay.php?133-InstallShield&s=b3820a774cbb70ff96b644de0c0d641d

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 3:06 PM