Windows 7 Pro backup fail 0% RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I installed Windows 7 Pro on my desktop (fresh install, not an upgrade).  Installed the connector software, and connected to the home server.  I deleted the backups for the older Vista OS, and tried to back-up the freshly installed machine.

The backup fails at 0%.   It doesn't give an error message, it just never gets past 0%, and it somehow breaks the network connectivity, such that only resetting the adaptor (or disable-enable it) will re-enable access to the network/internet.  Obviously something breaks the network connectivity and then the backup is unable to proceed over the network.
    This is one of several problems I'm having with Microsoft products, and I would like to get this one fixed as a WHS is a bit expensive for glorified NAS.

Backups work fine on my other XP machine.  The server also continues to work fine after a failed backup, the issue seems to be with the Windows 7 Pro PC.

I ran CHKDSK, no errors.
    Both Windows 7 and the server are fully updated, with the server running PP3.

If it means anything, the PC is also unable to transfer files off external HDDs.  (NTFS format, the drive works fine on my other windows 7 PC not in the house). If I drag any more than 2 folders, or try to move a large folder, it just does nothing at all.  It seems like an inability to work with large files/large volume of files/files with long directory names.  This may be a problem for performing backups.  The C: partition is 'only' 87GB so it is not a HUGE first time backup (other partitions are in non-backed up FAT32 partitions) but if Windows 7 has problems working with files, that could be the issue.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 7:58 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

Thanks for the replies.

kariya21, I cannot find the directory C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs on the computer or server.  Is it hidden?

Yes, All Users is hidden (sorry I should have mentioned that before).

Bjurran, I have stopped all non-essential startup programs (of course left all Microsoft programs at startup) to see if that helped.  I even stopped Microsofts antivirus for a period but to no avail.  It has been a problem since I installed Windows 7.
    The only driver issues I've had is using an XP driver for a Creative soundblaster 5.1 card and it cant find drivers for a TV tuner (which is disabled anyway).  It can't be a hardware problem as it worked fine under XP.

If it is a problem like this, how else could I go about trying to fix it?

For the record: 2.20Ghz intel core 2 duo, 250GB HDD, Windows 7 Pro 32bit, 2GB ram.
    I have 2gb of RAM installed.  Just checked the monitor: I have 980mb in use when running a few programs including firefox.
    The FAT32 partitions are a relic from when XP was temperamental and would fail on me.  I had all my important documents and music etc. on the FAT32 partition so I could use a Linux live-cd to back them up if I got a blue-screen (as at the time NTFS support was sketchy).  Now the server has a duplicated backup of all the important stuff.  I could reformat to NTFS I suppose, I just have never seen the need as FAT32 works fine for me as it is.

All this is occuring after I just fixed a major issue where the server wouldn't work at all intermittently for hours on end, due to a realtek gigabit ethernet chipset (since replaced by an intel, now it works fine).  I am definately not seeing the return on this 'investment'! (i would like to post this as a solution somewhere, as it seems there are a handful of others with similar problems yet is still 'unfixed').

Thanks very much for the help so far,

Rory.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:51 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I installed Windows 7 Pro on my desktop (fresh install, not an upgrade).  Installed the connector software, and connected to the home server.  I deleted the backups for the older Vista OS, and tried to back-up the freshly installed machine.

The backup fails at 0%.   It doesn't give an error message, it just never gets past 0%, and it somehow breaks the network connectivity, such that only resetting the adaptor (or disable-enable it) will re-enable access to the network/internet.  Obviously something breaks the network connectivity and then the backup is unable to proceed over the network.
    This is one of several problems I'm having with Microsoft products, and I would like to get this one fixed as a WHS is a bit expensive for glorified NAS.

Backups work fine on my other XP machine.  The server also continues to work fine after a failed backup, the issue seems to be with the Windows 7 Pro PC.

I ran CHKDSK, no errors.
    Both Windows 7 and the server are fully updated, with the server running PP3.

If it means anything, the PC is also unable to transfer files off external HDDs.  (NTFS format, the drive works fine on my other windows 7 PC not in the house). If I drag any more than 2 folders, or try to move a large folder, it just does nothing at all.  It seems like an inability to work with large files/large volume of files/files with long directory names.  This may be a problem for performing backups.  The C: partition is 'only' 87GB so it is not a HUGE first time backup (other partitions are in non-backed up FAT32 partitions) but if Windows 7 has problems working with files, that could be the issue.
    Did you look at the event logs and client WHS logs (at C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs) for any details on what the error might be?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:17 AM
  • I think you might have some other issues with the PC itself, rather than problems connecting it to the server.
    As you mention problems performing standard things like copying files etc, I would suggest trying to figure out what is causing this. Antivirus software? Bad drivers?

Just checking, as this could be memory related, how much RAM do you have installed? How much available?

Also, what are the FAT32 partitions used for? Multi OS setup? XP, vista and win 7 all work fine with ntfs.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 10:10 AM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for the replies.

kariya21, I cannot find the directory C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs on the computer or server.  Is it hidden?

Bjurran, I have stopped all non-essential startup programs (of course left all Microsoft programs at startup) to see if that helped.  I even stopped Microsofts antivirus for a period but to no avail.  It has been a problem since I installed Windows 7.
    The only driver issues I've had is using an XP driver for a Creative soundblaster 5.1 card and it cant find drivers for a TV tuner (which is disabled anyway).  It can't be a hardware problem as it worked fine under XP.

For the record: 2.20Ghz intel core 2 duo, 250GB HDD, Windows 7 Pro 32bit, 2GB ram.
    I have 2gb of RAM installed.  Just checked the monitor: I have 980mb in use when running a few programs including firefox.
    The FAT32 partitions are a relic from when XP was temperamental and would fail on me.  I had all my important documents and music etc. on the FAT32 partition so I could use a Linux live-cd to back them up if I got a blue-screen (as at the time NTFS support was sketchy).  Now the server has a duplicated backup of all the important stuff.  I could reformat to NTFS I suppose, I just have never seen the need as FAT32 works fine for me as it is.

All this is occuring after I just fixed a major issue where the server wouldn't work at all intermittently for hours on end, due to a realtek gigabit ethernet chipset (since replaced by an intel, now it works fine).  I am definately not seeing the return on this 'investment'! (i would like to post this as a solution somewhere, as it seems there are a handful of others with similar problems yet is still 'unfixed').

Rory.
    • Proposed as answer by SimonBunn Monday, January 4, 2010 9:52 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:00 PM
  • There has been a rash of similar compaints about back-up freezes.  I have reported my issue on the same subject yesterday.  From extensive reading of the many forums there seems to eb a lot of consensus that the network lock-up issue (in my "case client/server disconnect" issue is related to realtek NICs.  I have a GB network with Realtek 8169 and realtek PCI GBE NICS and have been unable to back up. I am going to buy an Intel 100/1000 NIC and give that a go.  Its expensive but worth trying and I will let you know if it sorts out my issues.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:55 PM
  • Not sure if this is what you're experiencing, but did you perhaps install any of the realtek NIC drivers from windows update? if so, delete the drivers and install the ones from the windows disc or the opnes that came with the mobo.
    Had major issues when I installed a few new machines the last few months. All weird things from not being able to get an IP to the network not showing up at all. In some cases, the network seems to work fine but all kind of weird things happened, and only sollution was to remove the new driver.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, All Users is hidden (sorry I should have mentioned that before).

Rory.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:51 AM
  • There has been a rash of similar compaints about back-up freezes.  I have reported my issue on the same subject yesterday.  From extensive reading of the many forums there seems to eb a lot of consensus that the network lock-up issue (in my "case client/server disconnect" issue is related to realtek NICs.  I have a GB network with Realtek 8169 and realtek PCI GBE NICS and have been unable to back up. I am going to buy an Intel 100/1000 NIC and give that a go.  Its expensive but worth trying and I will let you know if it sorts out my issues.

Having a similar problem with WHS trying to back up my Windows 7 machine. Both have realtek-chip NICs, and when I run the backup (automatic or manual) the WHS drops off the network and will only reappear when I restart the server.

Did changing your NIC solve the problem? Any other suggestions?
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:13 AM
  • There is a new RealTek driver available for Win7/Vista: ver. 7.012

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

I am testing it now.

UPDATE:

Well, that was interesting... 7.012 itself didn't make a difference.  I started playing around with NIC settings and ended up setting Jumbo packets to 9KB MTU ... now backups are flying! Took 5 hours to get to 22%, changed to jumbo packets mid-backup, then went from 22% to done in under 15 minutes!

Can anyone else test and confirm whether Jumbo packets fixes the issue on newer versions of the Realtek NIC drivers?
    I like pie!
    • Proposed as answer by Jammrock Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:49 PM
    • Edited by Jammrock Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:37 AM clarification
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:44 PM