Microsoft CRM Asynchronous Processing Service stops frequently RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to my organization and new to MS CRM.  It seems this service stops without an obvious cause.  It has been down certain weekends which leads me to believe the backup software has something to do with it.  But, it has not happened every weekend since I've been here and it has stopped during th e week a couple of times. 

There are several events that I'm trying to work out, so I'm not sure what is causing this or which events are simply products of the fact the service is down.  Event ID: 17415  May indicate the issue is with the SQL Server used for CRM.  Any thoughts are very much appreciated. 

ASE Online

Monday, November 19, 2012 5:05 PM

All replies

• You haven't really provided enough information about your environment so that anyone could help you trouble shoot it. For example:

1. CRM version -- there are big differences between the stability of CRM Async service depending on which version and update rollup you are using
    2. Number of CRM servers and their roles -- is the CRM Async service configured to run on multiple servers? Is there any load-balancing in place?
    3. Configuration of CRM Async process -- is it set to start automatically when the server is started?
    4. What else is installed on the server -- is anything causing the server to restart?
    5. Is there anything in the Even Viewer that helps?
    6. What makes you think it might be your backup software or SQL that's causing the problem?

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Monday, November 19, 2012 11:30 PM
  • Make sure to follow Neil's questions, that will help with good answers.

The first thing that comes to mind from the information we do have is that you might be on  CRM 4.0 with an older update. 

If these things are true:
    1. Update to the most current patch for CRM 4.0
    2. In the Services section of the CRM server, find the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Async Service and set it to restart automatically all the time. 

the first will improve the Async service's stability, and the second will make sure it picks up where it left off when it does crash.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:59 AM
  • 1.  4.0, (4.0.7333.3822)

2.  1 CRM server.

3.  Yes, the service is set to restart automically.

4.  The only software issue I see on that server is a product called Scribe.  This may be the issue or a symtom but when we have the problem, I'll get an error message telling me Scribe cannot communicate with it's SQL server, the same one CRM uses. 

5.  Not that I can tell.  I think the errors happen after the fact.  It never fails during a time that I can pinpoint so I may be missing something in the event logs.

6.  The fact that it seems to happen after hours, and particularly on the weekends.  Also, I've struggled with a very, very poor setup, with tons of errors, in the backup system since I arrived. 

Thanks for your help. 

ASE Online

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Thank you, I will look into an update.

ASE Online

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:10 PM