Windows Home Serve V1 reinstall - Drives visible, data intact but no drive pool. RRS feed

• Question

• Needed to move data HDDs to a new machine as the old one has (a) failing system disk (b) insuffficient SATA ports (c) some intermittent LAN issues

New installation, Intel motherboard, new system disk - all ok.

attach 3x2TB HDDs from old server, do a reinstall, expected WHS to find the Data drives and assemble them into a pool.  Not so

Drives are all visible separately, data appears to be there, in some cases duplicated per instructions on the shares. 

I can copy it all over and shift data round like a madman hoping i won't lose anything, but wasn't this supposed to be automated?  Wasn't WHS going to reassemble my pool?

how do i force it to identify the disks and reassemble the DE pool - any ideas?

confused

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:43 PM

All replies

• It isn't possible to force Windows Home Server to recognize a foreign drive pool, which is what you have.

In order to achieve what you want, you should have moved the disks to the new server, then performed your first install. To recover, assuming you haven't broken the storage pool from the old server, you can clean all partition information off the new system disk, then do a recovery with the old storage pool connected. You'll need to supply correct drivers twice: Once during the initial graphical portion of setup, to get it to recognize all your drives, then a second time just after the first reboot, at the text mode "Press F6" prompt.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:06 AM
  • Thanks Ken - great advice.  I got too impatient and (before i saw your post) tried to screw around with AHCI and got multiple BSODs during install.  Tried to load drivers but Intel don't seem to have them for a dektop board, only the server version.  Anyway... i did a clean install using IDE mode, and all drives are there still, with data intact.  So i might just copy the data over to otehr disks.  Painful i know, but i think i'll go along this path while i can at least see the data.  For next time i assume you mean the automated recover console?  I saw that during one of the attempts and it needed a floppy drive for that, whihc i don't have.  Am i getting reinstall and recovery mixed up?

BTW i read a lot of your posts - you're very patient

Ken

Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:05 PM