CRM on SBS 2008 & VS 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• My development environment is Dynamics CRM 2011 on SBS 2008. I have to use VS2012 for some project in conjunction with CRM 2011. However, when I tried to install VS 2012 I got the error message "The specified program requires a new version of Windows". After some googeling it seems the min is Server 2008 R2 but there is no R2 for SBS 2008 (AFAIK). Is there a way to get VS2012 to work in my environment?

On a side note, I am trying to avoid Server 2008 as I believe I would need two (virtual) computers for CRM 2011 if they are based on Server 2008 (instead of SBS 2008). In addition, I prefer not having to do a complete new installation again.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I will suggest to have your Visual Studio 2012 installed on a separate machine running either of below

• Windows 7 SP1 (x86 and x64)
    • Windows 8 (x86 and x64)
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x64)
    • Windows Server 2012 (x64)

Performing development activities on the CRM server is itself not recommended although many of us follow the same. 

For doing development activities you can work on your local and after installing VS 2012, install the developer toolkit for 2012 present in the latest SDK found here.

You can then proceed with the development by connecting to the CRM server from within the Visual Studio by creating the CRM package project.

As a side note, I hope you do not have your SBS 2008 server with CRM getting messed up in trying to get things working.

I hope this helps to resolve your issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Anubhav Bajpai

• Edited by Anubhav Bajpai Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:21 AM updated side note
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:16 AM
  • Anubhav, this is a virtual development environment, not a production environment. The reason I want Visual Studio on the same virtual computer as CRM is for debugging purposes. I believe debugging a 'remote' computer (my virtual machine) will not be as straightforward and with reduced functionality compared to when VS2012 is on the same computer as CRM 2011. Right now I just copy the pdb in the post build process and then attach to the appropriate process. Can I do this just as easily with VS2012 on a different computer?

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:25 AM
  • How do you connect to your Virtual Machine? VMware workstation or anything else.

Incase you are using VMware workstation, then you can refer to these links on how you connect from one VM to another by setting the named pipes.

https://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_devices_serial_2vms.html

Also have a look on the Visual Studio settings to connect to the VM, you would need to take care in providing the correct path for the other VM.

http://kristofmattei.be/2010/01/20/debugging-applications-in-virtual-machines-with-vmware-workstation-7-and-visual-studio-2008-sp1-2/

I know initially this will be a tough one for you but once you are through with it, it will definitely solve your various issues that may arise in support of SBS 2008.

I hope this helps to resolve your issue.

Anubhav Bajpai

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:17 AM
  • Anubhav, this sounds like a neat solution. Unfortunately, it seems VSID is not part of VMPlayer which is what I am using. Do you know if this works on VMPlayer? Also if you debug a plugin what is the exe you are connecting to?
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:49 AM
  • Hi,

I hope you must have referred to Visual Studio Debugging through VMware.

I cannot include various screenshots to perform step by step debugging through Visual Studio into the Virtual Machine. However in case if you prefer to install VS 2012 in your local machine and wish to debug your Virtual Machine applications then the intial steps are shown below:

1. Set up the serial adapter with named pipe with "this end as server" and "the other end is application"
    2. Save the settings and login to your Virtual Machine,
    3. In case your VMware tools are not updated for Visual Studio 2012 then run the VMware tools update via Player --> Help --> Software Updates.
    4. Once you have the software updates of VMware you should see the VMware in menu options of Visual Studio. If not you can select the addin thorough Tools --> Addin Manager.
    5. Once your VMware menu option is there, you need to click on "Attach to process in Live VM".
    6. This will open the pop up window where you can select your running vm, enter the same login details with which you have logged on to the VM. Remember to login to VM first before logging in through VS 2012.
    7. Once you provide login credentials, you will be able to see the processes in the VM,
    8. Select the process you want to attach and start debugging.

I hope you should be able to get this done, some things involve some effort initially but once you do it I hope it will be like playing with a toy.

Anubhav Bajpai

Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:19 AM