Shares with red "X" in explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes my WHS2011 shares appear in my Windows 7 Explorer with a red "X" superimposed over their icon.

The shares are perfectly functional, the mere act of clicking them makes the "X" go away, and access is completely normal.

So, what is this "X" trying to tell me?

Steve Swift

Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:40 AM

Answers

• Are these shares mapped to a Drive Letter? If so, it is not automatically connecting and hence the cross which goes away when you connect by clicking.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Swiftie Sunday, March 2, 2014 4:28 PM
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:50 PM

All replies

• Are these shares mapped to a Drive Letter? If so, it is not automatically connecting and hence the cross which goes away when you connect by clicking.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Swiftie Sunday, March 2, 2014 4:28 PM
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Phil,

I'm not sure if they're mapped to a drive letter, but I'm pretty sure you've hit the nail on the head. †

We're up against age-related memory loss here (mine), but I recall there being two red "X"s, and indeed I have two mapped drives.

Also strongly suggestive: I have my Explorer Icon opening the list of drives by default ( /e,\,/select) and this means that "X"s on those drives would always be visible in Explorer on my system.

There's an option I've come across, "Restore this connection" or something like that. Used to be in the "Net Use" command (Probably "persistent"). Can I turn that on after the fact?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

† The corollary to "hitting the nail on the head": "He's the sort of person who always hits the nail squarely on the thumb". One of my favourite sayings.

Steve Swift

Sunday, March 2, 2014 4:28 PM