Nameserver pointing RRS feed

• Question

• I wish to point my http://xxxxxxx.homesever.com to my www.xxxxxxxx.com.  I want it to display normally like in a regular website.  My domain registrant says updating the nameservers in the domain will work.  but I am not sure, what the nameservers are.  a quick google found the following name servers for homeserver.com

ns1.livedns.msft.net

ns2.livedns.msft.net

My question is, if I update the name servers to the ones above in my domain, how does homeserver know which one is mine?  there are hundreds of homeservers out there right?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 5:21 PM

All replies

• You can't. The homeserver.com domain is owned by, and can only be updated by, Windows Live Domains. It gets updated automatically when your server "phones home", but you can't change it otherwise.

So you will be unable to change where xxx.homeserver.com points; it will always point to your home server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:54 PM
  • So that means I can never go www.xxxxxxx.com into my home server..?  I can mask the URL in my domain, and I don't want to do that since each time I refresh the page, it goes to the home screen.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:33 PM
  • You can certainly do the opposite.. that is xxxxx.com -> home server. You need to whoever controls your xxxxx.com nameserver to direct to your home server's IP. As well, you may need to buy and install your own security cert
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:25 PM