none
SQL Server 2012 - Reporting Services, Power View and PowerPivot for SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• 1. Environment - Windows 2008 Server 64 bit 2. Trying to explore BI features of SQL Server 2012 ( PowerView).

3. Following installation steps takes

3.1 Ran Sharepoint 2010 products preparation tool.

3.2 Installed Sharepoint Server 2010 enterprise - farm not configured.

3.3 Installed SQL Server 2012 RC0 - Additional Feature PowerPivot for SharePoint

3.4 Ran SQL Server 2012 RC0 install for Reporting Services and Add In (Tabular Mode) Unable to launch Sharepoint Central

Administration. Getting error "Unable to connect to the configuration database" Verified the NamedPipes and TCP/IP for SQL Server Named Client and both are enabled. Log shows Failed to verify Authenticode signature on DLL

'E:\SQLServerDenali\MSSQL11.POWERPIVOT\MSSQL\Binn\ftimport.dll'. Also the Sharepoint Identity which had domain account does not work , had to change to LocalSystem. Why? Any feedback to correct the issue is appreciated.

Friday, December 9, 2011 12:31 AM

All replies

• I am not sure whether the following will help you out but it underlies my efforts to get SharePoint 2010 running with SQL server 2012 mainly to play around with Powerview:-

Installing powerview on Sharepoint 2010 with SQL server 2012 turned out to be a
    nightmare. Since I was doing the install on my local m/c, things became more
    harder than usual as I do not have enough memory to scatter around. So let me
    explain the steps I went through and the effort I had to exert in playing around
    with PowerView.
          I had SQL Server 2008 R2 installed with Sharepoint
    2010 on my machine. Just for folks out there who do not want to uninstall their
    current SQL server version and especially if it is 2008, ensure that you install
    SQL Server 2008 SP2 before installing SQL Server 2012 (I am going to
    refer to it with the term "Denali" from this point on). If you do not install
    SP1 and SP2 prior to the Denali install you are in for one heck of a ride. Mark
    my words please do the installs prior to installing Denali. If you do install
    Denali without upgrading SQL server 2008 to SP2, ensure that the Denali
    installer does not pop up while performing the SP2 install (which it does and
    leads to the issue: Another installation is currently taking place, cannot
    perform the SQL server 2008 SP2 install). This took me three attempts to finally
    get SP2 installed after installing Denali in an a prior step. There is a reason
    behind this and I will explain as I go on..... While installing Denali, be
    careful at two steps:

1. You will have to install the Analysis Services twice. Once for the common
      multidimensional mode that we all use and love. And the other for the Tabular
      model which basically represents your Dimensional model in a flattened table
      format.
    2. The next and most important step is while installing the Reporting Services,
      Ensure that you unselect the feature Reporting Service Native Mode while
      having the other two features Reporting Service in Sharepoint integrated mode
      and Reporting Service Add in for Sharepoint checked. Believe me you will have to
      uninstall Reporting Service and reinstall if you are not careful at this
      juncture. Denali does not provide you the option of shifting between modes like
      the good old SQL Server 2008 does with the Reporting Service Configuration
      manager.

Once you have these steps in place, you will have to upgrade
    the SHAREPOINT Server instance (this gets created while installing
    Sharepoint and contains all the metadata related databases that Sharepoint has)
    from SQL server 2008 to Denali. Remember in case you do not have SP2 installed
    prior to this step you will run into a brick wall and you have to install SP2 at
    this stage.
         &You will have to setup the SSRS application service:

1.Run the Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Management Shell as Administrator

2.Type the following PowerShell command> Install-SPRSService
    3.Type
    the following PowerShell command> Install-SPRSServiceProxy
    4.Now to start
    the service type the following PowerShell Command> get-spserviceinstance -all
    |where {$_.TypeName -like “SQL Server Reporting*”} |
    Start-SPServiceInstance
          Now it is time to create an SSRS reporting
    services application in Sharepoint 2010 Central Administration. My suggestion is
    to go ahead with a new application pool but you just need to have the reporting
    services application created with the root site that this application will be
    mapped to checked. Note:The reporting services application can
    be created by navigating to Central Administration > Application Management
    > Manage Services Application

After this step go to Site
    Actions in Central Administration, select Site Settings > Site Collection
    Features and enable the following features:

1. Power View Integration Feature
    2. Report Server Integration Feature
    3. Reporting

You are good to go and deploy "*.RSDS" i.e the shared
    reporting services data sets or the "*.bism" i.e. the business intelligence
    semantic model files to Sharepoint 2010 and play around with Denali's Crescent
    or Powerview. It took me literally a day to work around these issues along with
    the fact that my system is chugging along at a snail's pace. But yup.....got
    Powerview installed!!!!!!!! Oops jumped the handlebar too soon on this one. The
    BISM cannot be created at this stage unless you install powerpivot and configure
    it correctly. I will probably do a writeup on this soon. Now let us go ahead
    with the powerpivot installation steps.... As the technet website for Microsoft
    states that there are two wsp files for powerpivot that comes along with the
    Denali install but I am not able to find these anywhere. But not to fret, these
    were the steps I took to ensure that a powerpivot service application was
    successfully created.
    1. Apply Sharepoint 2010 SP1 if it has not been
    applied yet.
    2. Download Powerpivot excel addin for Sharepoint 2012 and
    install. Create a new database server using the Denali installation files but
    during the setup mode, choose the database for powerpivot integration with
    sharepoint as the option and then go ahead with the install. It will create a
    POWERPIVOT service which will contain all the powerpivot metadata databases.

3. Next step, once this install is successfull. Go ahead and create your
    secure store service application. (This is in Sharepoint Central Administration
    --> Manage Service Applications)
    4. Once your Secure Store Service is
    created. Go to the Denali folder (Microsoft SQL Server 2012 folder in your
    windows startup) and select the PowerPivot configuration tool under
    configuration tools. Run the configuration utility (which now deploys the
    powerpivot wsp solutions to Sharepoint 2010). This will also create the
    powerpivot service application in Sharepoint 2010.
        Navigate back to you
    Sharepoint document library and you will have an option for the BISM now.

Couple of notes that you need to keep account of:
    A] Powerview does
    not work with Sharepoint when Sharepoint is in a standalone mode. This is
    because the powerpivot installation works only when Sharepoint is in a farm
    mode.
    B] Ensure that you work within the corpnet of the client or company
    where powerview will be used.
    C] Ensure that Silverlight 5 is installed as
    Powerview uses Silverlight 5 and above.
    D] Last but not least never give up
    and you will eventually succeed in performing this task ;-)

• Edited by Ishwar Nataraj Friday, April 27, 2012 3:31 AM spell check issue
    • Proposed as answer by Avinash Si Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:15 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 3:29 AM
  • Complete installation steps of sql server 2012 power view

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Instalating-and-Configuring-9a38de94#content

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Good Advice, Ishwar. SQL 2012 is a big change. Mixmode is gone in express too.

Why did you post this here and not in the SQL forum? This should be there not here in Academic.

I read this post with reflection because I just went through all that you mentioned above.

• Edited by ResidentX10 Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:49 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:47 PM