none
hyper-v RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys

I installed hyper-v on server 2016,then i create two vm (server 2016) I connect them to virtual switch (private),and set ip to each one the same subnet but i can't ping them,I turned off firewall but no resutlt 

when i'm dom ping>>destination host unreachable

what is the problem ,please help me

thank you

Friday, January 26, 2018 4:59 AM

Answers

• A Private switch allows VMs to communicate ONLY each other and when they are on the same host. VMs cannot communicate with the host or to any network outside of the host either.

An Internal switch allows VMs on the switch can communicate with each other, but additionally can communicate to the Hyper-V host itself, but not to any network outside the host.

An External switch allows VMs to communicate with each other, the host and other networks.

ZdPav

Friday, January 26, 2018 9:07 PM

All replies

• A Private switch allows VMs to communicate ONLY each other and when they are on the same host. VMs cannot communicate with the host or to any network outside of the host either.

An Internal switch allows VMs on the switch can communicate with each other, but additionally can communicate to the Hyper-V host itself, but not to any network outside the host.

An External switch allows VMs to communicate with each other, the host and other networks.

ZdPav

Friday, January 26, 2018 9:07 PM
  • thank u for reply...

I understand this ,but u are not giving me an answer,

why I can't ping two vms??

Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:16 AM
  • My apologies, where are you trying to ping from? if you are trying to ping from the host, the VMs cant respond because they are on a private switch.

They will ONLY be able to ping each other.

Things to check,

Make sure they have IP addresses? DHCP or static?

if DHCP, they will have an APIPA because they wont get an IP unless one of them is a DHCP server, which I assume neither of them are

if Static, make sure they have their IPs configured properly, right subnet mask etc

A good test would be to statically assign these addresses

VM1 IP: 192.168.1.2 Mask: 255.255.255.0

VM2 IP: 192.168.1.3 Mask: 255.255.255.0

you can ignore the gateway and dns servers because they wont be able to talk outside your private switch anyways.

then try to ping VM2 from VM1 "ping 192.168.1.3"

and vice versa, ping VM1 from VM2 "ping 192.168.1.2"

ZdPav

Monday, January 29, 2018 4:40 PM