Video Capture on my WHS / No Windows Movie Maker? RRS feed

• Question

• okay, so my mian goal is to digitize all my old VHS tapes onto my server, for access from a PS3.

Now I just bought a new video capture card, installed it, only to discover, WHS doesn't appear to have Windows Movie maker (which I use to capture the video).

Is there a way to install Movie Maker ON my WHS? or does anyone recommend good video capture software that's free?

really suprised the WHS doesn't have movie maker with it...

Saturday, April 3, 2010 2:58 AM

All replies

• Using your server as a desktop computer isn't supported. You would be better off installing the video capture card in a desktop computer, capturing/editing the video there, and moving it to your server when you're done.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 12:29 PM
  • yeah, that's what I'm doing now. Everything was really simple, once I put the capture card in my desktop PC.

Only problem is...I use this computer for doing stuff. Where as the WHServer, 90% of the time, is just sitting there. So I was hoping to utilize it to capture the videos, while it was not in use, and then I'd be free to use my desktop to do work/internet stuff.

But looks like, instead, I'll just be capturing the video's at night, while I'm sleeping.

So while it's not recommended, I'd still like to know, is it POSSIBLE to run movie maker on my WHS?!?

Saturday, April 3, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Not as far as I know. There's an outside chance that you could force it to install in Windows XP compatibility mode, but I don't know if you'd get any codecs you might need, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 6:13 PM