Help sorting out reinstallation issues RRS feed

• Question

• Wednesday night I get alerts via WHS Mobile for iPhone that two of my drives are showing up as disconnected.  I get home Thursday, reboot the server, and everything looks normal for a few hours.  Then the drives showed up as disconnected again.

I had enough room to offload the data of one of the drives, so I did that and removed the drive from the system.  Again, everything was normal for a few hours and then I began hearing the dreaded CLICK of death.  I assumed it was the other drive that had previously been disconnected, so I removed it from the system, yet the sound persisted.  I rebooted WHS into safe mode and ran some disk tests, and discovered my OS drive is about to die. 

In reading this forum, I know I can remove the OS drive, install a new one, toss in the WHS install disc and choose "server reinstallation", and WHS will go about it's business for a looooong time rebuilding the data from the other drives.  I also know that during this process, I'll lose add-ins, settings, and any software installed on the OS.  None of that is really a big deal. 

I know that WHS only uses 20gb as the OS partition, and that data is stored in the other partition made from whatever is left over.  I'm hoping that once the reinstall is completed, I will be able to load the drive back up and recover all the data manually (assuming the drive holds up, it seems to be a write problem, not read, so hopefully that will go well). 

My questions (finally): during the initial part of all this, I went ahead and ordered a new SATA card (I was out of ports), a new drive, and a new PSU.  My replacement drive, like the OS drive that's failing, is IDE.  Is it possible to do the reinstallation procedure if you're going from IDE to SATA?  Is it worth waiting for my parts to come in order to get the extra speed for the OS drive? 
    Friday, March 12, 2010 7:14 PM

Answers

It DOES specifically say that it will erase all unduplicated shared folder content, though, which is why it scared me away.
    You can always back up your shares first, if you're really worried. Even without a functional server; see this FAQ. It's not a bad idea to take a backup just before any major operation on your server, either.

But generally my response to this is "Silly Microsoft." :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ECEC Friday, March 12, 2010 9:06 PM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:00 PM

All replies

• Go ahead and reinstall now. The theoretical additional performance you'll get out of using a SATA drive in SATA mode isn't worth the considerable headaches you'll face if your new system drive fails in a couple of days. In addition, you may find that you don't get offered a reinstallation/recovery option if your new system disk isn't directly connected to your motherboard. Boot order is moderately important, and you may not be able to set it correctly...
    Friday, March 12, 2010 7:58 PM
  • Thanks for the info.  I'm in the process of installing to the spare drive now, but I didn't get the Server Reinstallation option.  Just "New Install" and "Server Restore".  The description for Server Restore explicitly states that it will wipe all unduplicated data from the drives, so I disconnected all data drives and am going to do a new install.  After that, I'm going to try for the "Server Reinstllation" option again by connecting the drives and booting from the install disc.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Server "Restore" or "Recovery" is the option you want. It will not wipe unduplicated data, but you may lose some unduplicated data anyway. See this FAQ for more information.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:31 PM
  • Ok, that's cool then.  I guess I'll restart this whole process, then.  :) 

It DOES specifically say that it will erase all unduplicated shared folder content, though, which is why it scared me away.

When I get this all back setup and working, I'm going to have to figure out an easier way to deal with this if the OS drive becomes damaged again. 
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:34 PM
    You can always back up your shares first, if you're really worried. Even without a functional server; see this FAQ. It's not a bad idea to take a backup just before any major operation on your server, either.

But generally my response to this is "Silly Microsoft." :)

• Marked as answer by ECEC Friday, March 12, 2010 9:06 PM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Ha! I agree. 

Just a note, in case this helps anyone else out.  The "Server Restore" description scared me away like I mentioned, due to the language in the description.  So I disconnected all data drives and did a new install.  Once completed, I connected all the data drives again and booted from the install DVD.  THEN I got the "Server Reinstallation" option, which specifically said in the description that it would not harm Shared Folder data. 

So yay!  Now I just gotta wait for it to do it's thang and I'll be done.  Just in time to get new parts next week and take it all apart again.  :D
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:05 PM