WHS 2011 migration to new hardware RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen similar posts relating to this but mostly in connection with upgrading versions.

I have a fully operational server running WHS 2011. I have new different server hardware which I want to migrate to. Has anyone any guidance on this or is it not pratical to undertake in a simplistic manner? I have full back ups and spare external drive capability for the project. Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Roger

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:13 PM

Answers

• You should try a Server Restore, not a new install. From the online documentation:

To restore the server system drive

1. Insert the Windows® Home Server 2011 installation DVD in the server DVD drive, restart the server, and then press any key to start from the DVD.

2. After the Windows files load, click Repair an existing installation.

3. On the Select a system image backup page, you can choose to use the latest backup or you can select an earlier backup. The system will be restored to the state that it was at the time of the backup that you choose for restoring or repairing your server. Data that was added or setting changes that were made after that time must be recreated.

4. Follow the instructions in the wizard.

5. After the server is successfully restored, click Close to restart the server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by RogerLC Saturday, June 2, 2012 9:13 PM
    Saturday, June 2, 2012 11:59 AM

All replies

• If you have enough hardware, build both servers and transfer data from the old to new via your network (hopefully Gbit). If not, move all your data from your primary drive (if you plan to re-use it for the new installation) install and then add all your data drives without formatting them. If you have a Server Backup of your original system (on an external drive) , you could use the  original installation DVDs and do a server re-installation.

You do not say what "new" server hardware you plan to use so the above can only be taken as general guidance. If you have a new motherboard you may run in to driver issues and your original OEM installation may be tied to your old hardware. This may require Microsoft to be kind to you or in the worst case you may need a new WHS license.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:06 PM
  • Yes it is a new (different)  motherboard and I do have sufficient hardware to be flexible. You have spotted that my concern is with trying to restore the 'C' windows drive and retain my existing user etc, configuration. I assume that there's not an 'Easy Transfer' method like they do with the desktop OS?

Roger

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:17 AM
  • A server restore will give you that.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Thanks for that. So I think the plan is to do a new WHS 2011 instal on the new hardware then recover from back up?

Roger

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:12 PM
  • No, I would try a direct server recovery from a backup which may work, as long as it can find the correct drivers for your new motherboard.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Thank you for the advice. I will certainly try that over the next couple of days and let you know how I get on.

Roger

Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:02 AM
  • Does 'Direct server recovery' mean something other than a new install followed by a traditional restore as I couldn't get WHS recovery to recognise my back ups?

Roger

Monday, May 28, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Yes, suggest you read the online documentation for Server Backup & Restore, here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/backup-restore-overview-2.aspx

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:56 AM
  • Thanks, bed time reading later.

Roger

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:24 AM
  • The new WHS 2011 install wont recognise the single back up from the previous server, is there a way of loading the catalogue te enable a recovery of the old server back up?

Roger

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:08 PM
  • You should try a Server Restore, not a new install. From the online documentation:

To restore the server system drive

1. Insert the Windows® Home Server 2011 installation DVD in the server DVD drive, restart the server, and then press any key to start from the DVD.

2. After the Windows files load, click Repair an existing installation.

3. On the Select a system image backup page, you can choose to use the latest backup or you can select an earlier backup. The system will be restored to the state that it was at the time of the backup that you choose for restoring or repairing your server. Data that was added or setting changes that were made after that time must be recreated.

4. Follow the instructions in the wizard.

5. After the server is successfully restored, click Close to restart the server.

• Marked as answer by RogerLC Saturday, June 2, 2012 9:13 PM
    Saturday, June 2, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Thank you for all your help Phil. In the end it boiled down to the old problem of not tolerating the change in hardware. I had to resort to a new install followed by recreating the shares and user accounts (then moving / restoring data). It wasn't too tedious (public holiday) but I couldn't help feeling that there might have been a simple 'wizard' solution that could have assisted in the migration.

Roger

Saturday, June 2, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Roger. I am facing the same problem with two servers. Hardware is failing and wuold be nice to transfer users and all software and settings to the new hardware. I have tried uninstalling drivers, cloning discs, direct restore and all i cuold think. In the end i had to re-install the server and create everything everything from scratch. The old installation just wuoldn´t boot in the new server.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:17 PM