One Care....Warnings and......Blocking ActiveX........???? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello....I just picked up a Virus......something called AnitvirusXP2008 or something like that.....I got home from work and found it on the computer. It appears the kids picked it up somewhere.......anyway, it left a warning on my dislplay screen, as well, telling me me my computer is infected and it has a virus. SO!!! I ran my Norton Antivirus and Webroot, which are out of date, by about 4 months and both found nothing. I downloaded Spybot and it picked up this Anti XP2008 as a Fraud antivirus program and could only remove parts of it. I removed what I could from the programs menu, but the screen still shows a Warning message. SO!!! I decided to try a new program....thus, "LIve One Care". I dl'd the 90 day trial and it picked up 2 trojans and removed them, but the Warning is still there, on the display screen. I tried to change the display screen, but it's still there.

Problem 2: I do online music at MIXPOSURE and use their CHAT room and use Nexus Radio for the MIX Radio show. I tried to get in Chat, but I'm blocked, due to an ACTIVE X problem. I tried changing settings in the ONE CARE, but it didn't help.....I changed the Public setting to Home and turned OFF the Firewall. I also Unistalled Norton and Webroot.............AHH!!! It could be in Spybot?!??!?!?! just crossed my mind, that's newly added......hmmmm?!?!?!?! Any suggestion. Thanks for your help. in advance :-)

Rob

Saturday, August 9, 2008 12:20 PM

Answers

• Hello Rob, the first action to take is to remove the remaining pieces of XP Antivirus 2008. To get help with this I suggest contacting the Microsoft Security Hotline - 1-866-727-2338. After your computer is malware free I suggest reinstalling One Care because it is likely it did not install correctly on a computer already infected with malware and with Norton and Spysweeper installed. It is ok to leave Spybot S&D as long as you don't use Spybot's Tea Timer. The Active x issues could also be a result of having multiple AV and antispyware programs installed.

To reinstall One Care properly I would first run the Norton uninstall tool ( to remove remnants of NAV after uninstall ) - http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039 uninstall One Care then run the One Care cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2 then reinstall One Care.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 1:53 PM