Serving Media RRS feed

• Question

• WHS should have the ability of determining if the data files it is backing up are media (audio, video, photo) and asking the user if they want them backed up or placed in the WHS shared folders. This would eliminate duplication of backing up the media files and then copying them to the WHS shared folders.

Since the WHS market is the home, WHS should act as a media server. IMHO, WHS is not well configured to do this and consequently will fail to penetrate the home market.

Backing up is necessary, like brushing your teeth. It is hygienic but boring.

Accessing files remotely is good but of limited use for most home users. 

Serving media centrally to the household is both fun and useful. The WHS needs to be retooled and repositioned to do this with the minimum of effort on the users part. Its current configuration does not appear to do this.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:01 PM

All replies

• You should check the documentation on this, these features already exist.

WHS has stated that only one copy of a similar file will be saved to the WHS. So, when it backs up multiple PC's and all those PC's have, say, the same picture of your dog, that picture will only exist once on WHS. Or.. at least that's the intended functionality, if your experiencing something different, you may want to file a bug.

Secondly, I saved a video file to my WHS last night, and was watching it on my Xbox 360 without issue. The documentation details what you need to do, and how to do it, but basically, you set your shares so that they are accessible to Windows Media Connect enabled devices. It's not enabled by default because there is some risk associated with it. When you share the files they become available to ANYONE on your network, so if you have an open Wireless connection and someone connects to your wireless network, they can start grabbing your photos, music and video if you shared those folders.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:11 PM
  • The feature I am suggesting is different than what you are writing about. I want WHS to recognize media and not "back it up" per se but rather with the owner's consent move it to the shared WHS media files.

Also, Microsoft cannot expect home users to "read the documentation". This just will not happen. All this stuff has to be simple, obvious and built-in to the UI. The standard business model of network shares, user privileges, domains... is not appropriate for the home market.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:58 PM
  • Well, the media sharing was in another part of your post.

I do assume that some users will want to read up on what the WHS can do, but then there are people out there with 12:00 on their VCR's... er well, DVD players still. I think the people with 12:00 blinking interminably though will not be the market for WHS.

Either way, I can see WHS detecting media and offering to place it in the appropriate Share as a useful option for the "Peter" crowd. Maybe a Wizard for this, that also asks to enable Media Sharing for these folders as well.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:13 PM
  • I had a VCR with "12:00" blinking for a long time. This was not because I couldn't program it but rather because it was more trouble than it was worth and after every power outage it needed to be reprogrammed. (We have lots of power outages where I live in CT - also the highest electrical rates in the US.) Then I got a TiVo and the world was great and I stopped using the VCR.

I want WHS to be successful but if its features are perceived by users as more trouble than they are worth it will not succeed.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:50 PM