After HTTP connecting to WHS2011, i am unable to RDC into AVAILABLE PC on WHS2011 network RRS feed

• Question

• I'm able to connect to WHS2011 network at home from work.  It show all three PC's (one is server, other two are WIN7 ultimate) as available.  If I try to connect to 32 bit machine I get "Remote Desktp can't find the computer ......".  If i try the 64 bit machine, i connect with no problems. 

Any ideas?

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:47 PM

Answers

• What the heck, i've not messed with anything (hardware, settings, nothing) after several months of frustration; everything now works!!  Must have been something in one of the latest M/S patches I installed a couple of days ago.

Guess we'll call it FM (f_____ magic).

• Marked as answer by Cress Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:25 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:24 PM

All replies

• A bunch of folks have read my post, but no responses?  Come on "guys"; not even a hint?  Did you not understand my problem?  Do I need to re-word it? Do "you" need more info?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Sounds like a DNS issue. You could test this by logging in to your server's desktop, running a command prompt and pinging the 32 bit machine. A further test would be to try to Remote Desktop from your server's desktop.

Try comparing the DNS settings of your 64 bit machine and your 32 bit machine.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:16 PM
  • i'll try that, thanks Dale.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:18 PM
  • OK, here's an update.  I can logon to WHS2011 (at home) fromwork PC.  I can RDP from WHS2011 connection to the 64bit (Win7) PC on my home hetwork, then I can RDP to the 32bit (Win7).  I can not get directly to the 32bit PC from WHS2011.

AS Dale suggested, I looked at DNS and everything else I could think of; PCs are configured the same.  Only difference (32bit vs. 64bit O/S) and PC names.

As a refresh, here is the problem:

I'm able to connect to WHS2011 network at home from work.  It show all three PC's (one is server, other two are WIN7 ultimate) as available.  If I try to connect to 32 bit machine I get "Remote Desktop can't find the computer ......".  If i try the 64 bit machine, i connect with no problems. 

Any ideas?

• Marked as answer by Cress Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Cress Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:19 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:06 PM
  • What the heck, i've not messed with anything (hardware, settings, nothing) after several months of frustration; everything now works!!  Must have been something in one of the latest M/S patches I installed a couple of days ago.

Guess we'll call it FM (f_____ magic).

• Marked as answer by Cress Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:25 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:24 PM