none
SUGGESTION - The button "Ask a question" instead of "Post message" or "New topic" is misleading

Question

• SUGGESTION. The button "Ask a question" instead of "Post message" or "New topic" is misleading. I do not want to ask any question but report bugs and make this suggestion.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 2:27 PM

All replies

• You can always change any post from a question to a discussion.

Edit: Unfortunately, it appears you have to first post as a question, then change the type to discussion.

You can also add suggestions to this Wiki article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4703.feature-requests-for-technet-and-msdn-profiles-and-social-platform-tools.aspx

Perhaps the wording on the link should indicate either question or discussion. And we should be able to change the type to discussion before saving.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 2:51 PM
  • Thanks. When I try to post to such link, I get:
    Wiki  >  TechNet Articles  >  Add Page
    Sorry you don’t have enough privileges to post an article on the Wiki.

On the other hand, in the case of this thread, what I wanted is to make a suggestion, not a question or  discussion. It would be useful if that could be selected before posting. So... button to Post, and then and only then button to select type (suggestion, question, discussion, bug report, etc). 

• Edited by MacTop2 Thursday, August 2, 2018 6:21 AM
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 6:13 AM
  • It should be doable. I click Ask A Question then at next prompt can select Ask A Question or Start A Discussion

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 2, 2018 12:07 PM
  • I thought I remembered seeing those selections. But I don't see it now when I click "Ask a question" in Edge or IE 11.

Thursday, August 2, 2018 12:53 PM
  • Strange.... The screenshots are from an Edge session and I just tried also using IE11 with the same results. (using MSDN branding) Maybe a branding issue?

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 2, 2018 12:57 PM
  • No, I just switched to MSDN with the same result. Strange.

Thursday, August 2, 2018 1:17 PM
  • Even if I start from home URL

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?

Thursday, August 2, 2018 1:24 PM
  • My experience with the Forums is that they are not the right venue for reporting bugs to Microsoft.  If there is a bug reporting mechanism for a product ( for example, Visual Studio) then community members often point users to the appropriate site to report their issues. 

So where bug reporting is concerned, question or discussion makes no difference.  It is my understanding that even if noticed by Microsoft (not a certainty by any means) a forum item will not be viewed as a bug report since it was not communicated using the official mechanism accompanied by the requisite documentation..

Thursday, August 2, 2018 1:55 PM