none
Running a VSTO Excel workbook in HPC RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Excel workbook VSTO application. I want to run this workbook in the HPC cluster. When I submit to HPC, the macro in the workbook is being called but call to .NET object within the macro is not happening. I would like to know if this is a supported scenario or not.

Thanks

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 11:07 PM

All replies

• We haven't tested this pattern but it should work. Did you install the VSTO on all compute nodes?
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:01 AM
  • I am testing this scenario with just one specific node (using a job template).

Yes, it has VSTO installed properly. I am able to run the workbook macro manually in that node successfully.

When the request goes from HPC the macro gets called but the .net object method calls are not going thru.

When I load the excel workbook manually in that machine, i see that excel process is consuming 180MB but when the process gets activated from HPC, the memory stops at 110 MB.

Since excel is running in the background, I am not able to debug the probelm. please advise.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:24 PM
  • how do I debug this problem? Is there are way to bring the background running excel to front so that I can see what is happening? please advise.

Saturday, March 3, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Hi, to debug this problem, I think you could try using HPC_ATTACHTOSESSION=true and watching what is happening on the compute nodes. For more details, please see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg315415%28WS.10%29.aspx
    Monday, March 5, 2012 7:19 AM
  • Hi, setting this environment variable HPC_ATTACHTOSESSION=true helped me to see the excel application in the compute node.

I see that macro is called even before loading VSTO customizations. Can you please let me know how to prevent this?

I want the macro to be called only after the excel workbook is fully loaded with VSTO customization.

Thanks

Monday, March 12, 2012 3:35 PM